advertisement

Pics of your pets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New addition to the household: Crumble.

6406843731_6a05cb0aab_z.jpg

5323204694_d1357374fa.jpg

snapshot of our rodent catcher. it's hosted on flickr, you know.

I made this image by breathing carefully, I used a Nikon d70 with AFNikkor 85mm f1.8. it was low light, so I manually set ISO at 800, and very unusually used PGM. I dialled in -1/3 stop to account for the highly reflective subject (in comparo to the background). the camera gave me some exposure options; I selected f1.8 with 1/13th as it seemed sensible (over 800 ASA the d70 is hopeless, generally). after this I shot a few on manual, which exposed a little more to my liking but turned up even worse composition-wise, so I settled with this image and of course, I spent a little time on the image in the digital darkroom. I think I captured our organic rodent control device in her repose after a hard day's relaxing; this is certainly not art, nor is it up to the standard of other images on this thread! I did use the good old rule of thirds, and worked on engaging with my subject per the guide to successful portraiture. I looked for a diagonal, failed to use it as a leading line. I did wait for the moment that the cat's true character shone forth.

now, did the above technical info and added explanation add to your appreciation of the image? If it has, I've clearly failed in the image.

PS - the blue highlights on the cat's face is from the 46 in panel television, wall mounted, camera left. this qualifies as a light source as far as the image is concerned, although I forget what programme was playing at the time. possibly something nautical, or even something in a sunburnt country.

Not my dog, not even this year but last: stevied's delightful Springer carefully engineers the squeak out of his present, all in about 10s flat from his dainty-forepaw unwrapping unto toothy Death To Toys pose. A performance exactly repeated this year hence the repost - because iphone-cam is not quick enough to capture the action...

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

I'm worried that if anyone ever discovers the number of pictures I've taken of her I'll be ousted as some kind of cat mentalist.
Keeping her off the turntable is proving rather trying. Thank god I haven't got the Avid deck anymore.

sofa cat by m4rkb, on Flickr

Dig that sofa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back