advertisement

Phono Stage for High Output MCs

DL-110/160 into Naim 323 MC cards worked well for me. But..same DL-110 into Croft MM stage not so good, via a McKinnie head amp (& into Croft MM) on low gain better, but nowhere near as good as a LOMC via the McKinnie in low gain mode (actually, 110 into McKinnie in high gain mode also sounded better than native Croft MM stage, no overload I could detect)

With our DL-110, we tried the “recommended” 47K Loading, but it just sounded too sibilant and threadbare.

So, we tried every possible combination of Load - and Gain.

We achieved far better sonics - and better tracking - with the TRICHORD DELPHINI set to 100R Load for the DENON DL-110.

The iFi Zen Phono has a number of choices for gain which would likely suit a HOMC somewhere in the middle.

I picked up an iPhono 3 for a second system which sounds great and also has tons of flexibility.

Worth a look for sure.

We have owned both the original iFi iPhono and the RAY SAMUELS NIGHTHAWK phono stages.

Whilst they were affordable and made vinyl replay possible, we did not really enjoy them.

The TRICHORD DELPHINI 2-chassis phono stage plays in an entire different league and is as good as any phono stage we have heard.

I cannot comment on other TRICHORD phono stages (DINO, etc.) as we have not heard them.

I would be curious to hear feedback from anyone who has directly compared TRICHORD’s different phono stages with the 2-chassis TRICHORD DELPHINI.

I cannot comment on other TRICHORD phono stages (DINO, etc.) as we have not heard them.

I've tried/heard the Dino a couple of times and I'm not a big fan. The 110 still sounds like a 110 through it and the stage has a kind of electronic sounding sheen to the sound I don't like.

Like I said, I don't see the point it knocking yourself out trying to find a stage that matches a mediocre cartridge. Just put the money towards a better cartridge to suit the stage your already have.

advertisement

Back