advertisement

Phono Pre Amp Help please

DevonDonut

Please accept my humblest apologies as I know this question has been done to death elsewhere on these forums, and I have watched many hours pass by as I read all the threads related to this subject!

I have a Project Debut Carbon Espirit, Goldring 2100 cart, Marantz PM6005 amp & Dali Zensor 1 speakers. I'm currently hooked up to the amp by way of the in-built phono stage and having read many threads it sounds as though a separate phono pre amp may enhance the sound.

If it helps I listen to mainly indie rock (Everything ranging from Stone Roses, Happy Mondays through to Pearl Jam, Foo's etc), a lot of Joy Division & early REM. Nothing as refined and sophisticated as classical I'm afraid.

Question is, which one? I'm guessing a lower end budget amp could work just as well as a high end amp given my low-end set up?

My budget would ideally be around the £150 mark.

All help, comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest a secondhand Trichord Dino.

Great stage, very flexible, does MM & MC, sounds very good indeed.

I'd say second hand is the way to go too, and allows long term trials without much by way of depreciation issues if you want to try other things. Keep an eye on the classifieds here - lots of stages go through.*

*Hmm, sounds like the Wild West!

Thanks guys.

I've done a bit of research on the Dino and quite a few people rate it over Rega's offerings, so I shall do some digging and look at the second hand prices. The classifieds will be my first port of call.

advertisement

Back