advertisement

Pentax K100D and K110

OK, make that something for the disappointed Pentax fans...

Still, new cameras, which probably means Pentax is financially healthy, which I take as a good thing.

Joe

Joe,

How are these positioned relative to *ist DL & DS2. I'm struggling to see how the one without anti-shake is different than the DL.

Dan

Dan,

I posted a link to some Pentax news I found, thinking that some people here might be interested, but I don't know any more than what's in the release.

FWIW, the finder doesn't look as good as the one on Matthew's Pentax, clearly a step backward, but the K100D looks to be better in other ways -- mainly the VR stuff.

Joe

Hopefully the expected 10mp Pentax/Samsung K10D (or whatever) will have both the VR and a penta-prism.

Tomek,

That's my point. Digital is killing some camera companies. Even though I'm a Nikon guy, I'm more than happy to see Pentax do well even if it means the loss of D50 and D70 sales... not to mention Rebel XT sales.

Joe

One of the reasons I abandoned Pentax a while back was because they failed to rise to the challenge of Nikon and Canon. Their top effort in the 35mm SLR was the LX, and I was desperately hoping for an AF version of that. It never happened, of course, and I ended up for a while with a Nikon F-90X.

With this new development, I wonder if this means Pentax is about to launch pro-grade DSLRs for the first time since their heyday of the 1980s. I suspect the similarity of nomenclature between K100 and K1000 of yore is not accidental. It'd be nice to have a Pentax equivalent of the Nikon D2, albeit in their classically compact dimensions.

James

James,

I'm waiting for Nikon to make the FM-3D, the digital equivalent of the FM-3a... but I doubt it will happen.

nikon-fm3d.jpg

Joe

Digital back for older cameras will be great.
But we have to buy new camera and new lenses for it, forget about using your old stuff, we have to buy new things.

I have a friend who has four different Nikon slrs and many, some very expensive older Nikon lenses. Now he bought Nikon D70 and he can use this camera only with Nikon lenses made after 1999.
It is possible to use old Nikon lenses with D70 only in full manual mode and with one external lightmeter !!! Really great.

Leica did a digital back, but it is very expensive
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/rsystem/digitalmodul/index_e.html

Tomek

Joe Petrik said:
James,

I'm waiting for Nikon to make the FM-3D, the digital equivalent of the FM-3a... but I doubt it will happen.

nikon-fm3d.jpg
Joe,

If Leica can do it with their Digilux, what's stopping Nikon?

James

tomek said:
But we have to buy new camera and new lenses for it, forget about using your old stuff, we have to buy new things.
Therein lies the beauty of the Pentax K mount. So timeless and so perfectly retrofitable to the Pentax DSLRs. I just wished I had the foresight (and faith) back then to keep my collection of Pentax SMC primes.

<sigh>

James

Tomek,

I routinely use a Nikkor 85 f/1.8 (a non-AI lens from the 1960s that's been AI'd) and a 55 f/1.2 (another non-AI lens from the early 1970s that's been AI'd) on my Nikon D-SLR. They fit, they work. Hell, the body even gives me full matrix metering. Full compatibility is there, you just have to buy something other than the consumer D-SLRs to get it.

James,
If Leica can do it with their Digilux, what's stopping Nikon?
Nothing, but I suspect Nikon can't be bothered because the bulk of their customers want the latest, not old, mechanical technology with a new digital back.

Joe

Guys,

Any concern about the penta-mirror viewfinder in the K100D is misplaced. The K100D/K110D are replacements for the *ist DL/2 and uses the same viewfinder as the DL used, which was still (IMHO) preferable to the finders used by the competition. In effect, this is simply an upgraded DL with more AF points (11 as per the DS), improved image processing and shake reduction system (K100D), all at what looks like pretty sharp pricing. The penta-prism is/was used in the *ist DS/2 and *ist D.

The higher level camera is due to be released later in the year (Photokina?) and has already been announced as having a 10mpix sensor. It has been rumoured to also have shake reduction – infact that preview pics of the body from PMA show what we now know to be the SR switch as used on the K100. This new model is rumoured to be called K10D.

The shake reduction system looks to have really good potential as Pentax appear to have made it work with pretty much any lens you can bolt to the body, including M42 glass. This is achieved through a menu option allowing you to enter the focal length of the lens in use when the camera can’t detect it.

The 21mm pancake lens also looks good and ought to be released shortly.

Regards,

Stuart.

advertisement

Back