advertisement

Paper for Pigment Ink Prints

MartinC

pfm Member
Over the years I have tried many different papers for printing on Epson pigment based printers and have been happy with the results for colour prints using a variety of papers, however I haven't really been as happy with the results for monochrome prints. I am currently using Ilford Gold Fiber Mono Silk (which seems now to have 'warmtone' in the branding but my older boxes don't). Results are reasonable using either the Epson B+W print driver or working with the paper profile and some toning in Lightroom, but images still lack something compared to wet chemistry prints.

There are so many paper options out there it's tough to decide which to try out, so looking for any recommendations. My ideal would be for a finish that looks like an air dried fiber based print, and a depth of image similar to the old Agfa Record Rapid. Any suggestions?

Not an answer to your dilemma, but has anybody tried taking a picture file, printing it as a negative on transparent support of the require size, and then wet contact-printing?
What I do know is that papers like Agfa Brovira, Record Rapid, etc. no longer exists, although there are excellent current papers. I use Ilford Classic glossy and am happy with it, especially after selenium toning, although I do seem to remember a certain "meatyness" in the Brovira I used 40 years ago.

Which Epson printer are you using? I sued to use a 3800, but bought a P7500 last year, when the 3800 finally died after >10 years.
I have used Davinci Fibre Gloss for years, but have also Ilford Gold Fibre Oil, Canson Baryta. My favourite is the Davinci, but that seems to be end of life now.

Here is a print on Davinci Fibre Gloss from my P7500

dj7Fu0.jpg

The printer is a Epson P800, I have ordered a box of Canson Infinity Platine Fiber Rag to try out. I like the fact that on the latest Epson printers you can add 3rd party paper profiles to the Epson driver, I wish they had updated the older drivers to allow that as well. I am actually tempted to use our daughters Canon PRO100 instead of the Epson since the ink cost for the Canon is 1/5th of the Epson price.

Just tried a few test prints with the Canson Infinity Platine Fiber Rag, it as quite a different surface texture to the Ilford Gold Fiber Mono Silk, almost like a cross between a matt and the Gold Fiber Silk, there is some definite sheen differences between the paper surface and the ink, but not objectionable. Using the Canson icc profile I got rather odd toning, with quite a blue underlying coloration. Using the Epson B&W mode in their driver and the Epson Legacy Platine paper setting, the coloration was very neutral (perhaps the Epson Platine is manufactured by Canson?). Anyway, will need some more test prints to see if it may become my go to paper but so far encouraging results.

Over the years I have tried many different papers for printing on Epson pigment based printers and have been happy with the results for colour prints using a variety of papers, however I haven't really been as happy with the results for monochrome prints. I am currently using Ilford Gold Fiber Mono Silk (which seems now to have 'warmtone' in the branding but my older boxes don't). Results are reasonable using either the Epson B+W print driver or working with the paper profile and some toning in Lightroom, but images still lack something compared to wet chemistry prints.

There are so many paper options out there it's tough to decide which to try out, so looking for any recommendations. My ideal would be for a finish that looks like an air dried fiber based print, and a depth of image similar to the old Agfa Record Rapid. Any suggestions?
Have you tried Hahnemuhle smooth photo rag? I think that's possibly what you're looking for.

More generally, I find Innova papers great value and much to my liking, especially Exhibition Photo Baryta 310gsm and the Photo Cotton Rag 315. The cotton rag prints quite warm, the baryta slightly cool. I use an Epson P600 with original inks.

As a general rule, I wouldn't use the Innova cotton rag for colour prints, but the Hahnemule is OK - useful if you really don't want the reflectivity of a glossy paper. Innova Baryta is my go-to, for the moment anyway!

Alex

Hi Alex. I did try Hahnemuhle Photo Rag a while ago and I did like the paper, however it required the use of the Epson matt black and the other papers I use require the photo black. With the P800 changing blacks unfortunately purges the black ink line which wastes a ton of ink. I will check out the Innova suggestions, thanks again for the suggestions!

Tried a few more prints on the Canson Platine vs the Ilford Gold Fiber Mono Silk and using the Canson and Ilford canned profiles, results are very similar. What I do like about the Canson paper is the surface, it does appear more like a fiber based wet darkroom paper, as opposed to a more RC paper look of the Ilford. Since they are tonally near identical proofing with the less expensive Ilford paper I think will work well, with the Canson being reserved for any final artwork.

advertisement

Back