advertisement

Original Marantz cd63

Alex N

pfm Member
I've seen one of these up for sale. I know it could pack up at any moment, but I expect I can get it for not very much, and it looks kind of cool with its top loading mechanism.

I guess I'm just curious really - is it a clone of the original Philips player with a similar sound, and is it actually worth anything as an investment(?!)

Nicholas

Identical to the Phillips CD100 bar the colour. Price wise they tend to fetch less than the Phillips. Hard to say how it sounds by today's standards but I would like one just for old times sake although I would need a few CD's as I don't have any!

Note that the very first CD100's came with a natty souvenir/presentation folder that included a catalog of all the available disc's, the story of CD's development and a cleaning cloth. These fetch mucho wonga if you can find them.

I had a 63 original until about 5 years ago. I actually preferred it to a Linn Mimik. A Rega Planet (original) however whupped it's ass by some degree.

Cheers

Rich

I have an original CD100 - boxed with all packaging. With all the 'progress' in almost 25 years of the CD player, surprisingly, it doesn't sound at all bad. Certainly as good as most affordable machines, and better in some ways.

Andy

A Meridian MCD or MCD Pro would be better sound wise, based on the CD100 but hot-rodded by Meridian. These in good condition still fetch strong money

Thanks for your replies - I think the cd63 sold for under £20 plus p&p on eBay. The seller didn't reply to my email and their feedback wasn't perfect, so I let it pass - not worth the bother.

Thanks all the same - much appreciated.

Which era CD63 are you referring to?

The original top loading machines from 1983 were headache inducing (the Sony CDP101 wasn't), this being minimised with the Meridian MCD and removed by the MCD-Pro, my first CD player. None of these players reproduced ambience and atmosphere very well either. As vintage collectors items they'd be OK, but in sound they were trounced by the better "16 bit" models of just a few years later. I think light pens are still available for the CDM1 mech - I hope so, as my CD player uses one of these mechs....

The CD63 I thought you were referring to was the mid-nineties one, which was very good before KI got his little paws on them and made them go all harsh and brittle (all that jitter didn't help either).

I recently bought a Philips 104 (1984?) for next to nothing from an ad in the paper. It sounded fairly grim. It came with a cheapo tuner and cassette deck for a few bob, and I tinkered around with all of it for a few hours before trading it in at a shop and picking up a few tenners for my trouble.

I think stuff like this is OK as a hobby thing if you get it cheap, but I wouldn't want to live with it.

Thanks for your replies - I think the cd63 sold for under £20 plus p&p on eBay. The seller didn't reply to my email and their feedback wasn't perfect, so I let it pass - not worth the bother.

I was watching that ad; I noticed you can still get lasers for the CDM0,1,2 and 4 mechs online...

I scored a Denon DCD1100 for a fiver off of a colleague last week; it's not mint, but still works OK. It's so old it has transit screws and a "subcode" output. Not got round to getting it home and listening to it yet though...

I'd definitely like to own a CD100 though.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom