advertisement

Open camera surgery - do I dare?

Soloist

pfm Member
A few weeks back I mentioned that Mrs Soloist's Canon Ixus had deveoped a fault. Not much more has happened on its potential replacement (although I read the Nikon 1 thread with interest!) but as I am a bit of a tinkerer I find myself getting the urge to reach for the screwdriver and see whats going on inside! Good idea?

I stand to lose a working camera (albeit one that has no zoom function) but that is an uneconomical repair anyhow. Just how user serviceable is it inside? I am suspecting a grain of sand prevents the mechanism from working but thats probably just my optimism. Actually, its not usually the taking apart thats the hard bit...but I work on the principal that at some point, someone had to put it together!!!

Hiding to nothing?

Soloist, I work in Industrial Vision and regularly take cameras apart, the two important things are:-

1) Make sure that the distance between the sensor and the optics remains the same when it goes back together.

2) zoom lenses are difficult to repair, as when they come apart, they regularly fall into a million pieces!!!

I ws recently sent this pphoto by a customer who tried to repair his own fixed focus lens, asking me where all the bits went....much cheaper to buy a replacement!!!!!!

lens-1.jpg

As a child, one of my first memories was taking apart my father's SLR camera to figure out how it worked. I remember being amazed at the number of parts that fitted into a very small space. I have never taken a camera apart again since then.

Aparently, when I was 5 I cut down the Sumach tree in the back garden to see what was inside. I'm now an arboricultural consultant! You're not a camera tech then James?

Aparently, when I was 5 I cut down the Sumach tre ein the back garden to see what was inside. I'm now an arboricultural consultant! Youre not a camera tech then James?
No, but I'm reasonably competent at changing the focusing screen and marvelling at the mechanical genius of old cameras. Does that count?

YouTube is a mine of how-to guides for stripping and reassembling stuff. Always worth a look. As is eBay, of course, for the necessary spares.

Tony

Yep. There is a vid there for this exact model! I had thought about this becuse I have recently used this resource for repairing the HDMI board on my Onkyo TR606, which is known to have a fault that is easily repaired by replacing capacitors.

Feeling much braver!!

advertisement

Back