advertisement

Once allied to warm electronics .....hifi world 98

coyg

pfm Member
Just acquired some speakers and the above is the headline of hifi worlds advice on partnering equipment .
So , for a bit of fun , what do people suggest ?

Speakers are jpw Ruby 2 and were £395 in 98 .

HFW in 98 was well into very expensive valve amps, shortly before the Chinese started making them for loose change. So I'd say something like an EAR TdP design based on say KT 66.

Sugden is likely too, but someone guessed that first. The A21 was very much a darling of the mag at the time.

HFW in 98 was well into very expensive valve amps, shortly before the Chinese started making them for loose change. So I'd say something like an EAR TdP design based on say KT 66.

Sugden is likely too, but someone guessed that first. The A21 was very much a darling of the mag at the time.

I have an EAR890 in the classifieds - maybe not an ideal financial match though...

Just acquired some speakers and the above is the headline of hifi worlds advice on partnering equipment .
So , for a bit of fun , what do people suggest ?

Speakers are jpw Ruby 2 and were £395 in 98 .

Some Farlowe-era Exposure. My Exposure III / IV certainly has a warm & rich balance.

No they weren't. They were made by a firm called Deltland based in Dartford. The prisons couldn't have made a cabinet to that standard.

That was the the golden age when HFW deemed almost all solid state amps "tonally grey". Unless it was something obscure that only HFW had reviewed, like the sank without trace Rose Scion.

They've got metal drivers and tweeters so possibly 😉
That's actually a myth. I had Celestion SL6s with metal-domed tweeters that weren't bright. It's more to do with cross-over design. I sure metal domes are used in loads of speakers that are bright but there are plenty of models with other materials are are equally so. Why can't manufacturers design stuff properly to start with so we don't have to juggle a system together that becomes a real pain when we want or need to replace something?

advertisement

Back