advertisement

Older Linn Klout serial 23xx (early 90's) opinions

I picked up an older Linn Klout serial 23xx which appears to put its age around 1993. I'm not sure if it needs a re-cap but it works. The sound is good but the presentation is more laid-back and not so upfront. Is this the typical Linn Klout sound?

If you're not worried about reselling it, recap it yourself. You'll have fun and since you did it, it's bound to sound much better.

What will re-capping do for the sound?
It should improve it in all aspects, but unless you have an uncapped one to compare with, it will be difficult to see immediately. Over an extended period of listening you should perceive an improvement. Also it gives you peace of mind. The new caps need a week or so to settle in.

The power supply caps discharging once you turn the amp off will be heard for much longer once you've recapped it.

BTW the Klout is an excellent power amp, imo hard to beat even these days and for it's second hand price it's stellar. Its extremely well built and reliable so will last another lifetime.

What will re-capping do for the sound?

After three decades the capacitors are most likely dried out, guess it will sound slow and muffled now.
Maybe there's other parts which is aged and need replacement, I'd get a technician to help or resell the amp as these seem to keep prices really well.

Caps are like a rechargeable battery but are designed to charge and discharge very quickly to cope with demand from the equipment. Think what happens to the battery in your mobile after a few years. It doesn’t hold a charge as long so can’t give the equipment what it needs to reproduce the music accurately.

After three decades the capacitors are most likely dried out, guess it will sound slow and muffled now.
Maybe there's other parts which is aged and need replacement, I'd get a technician to help or resell the amp as these seem to keep prices really well.

Slow and muffled could be a way to describe what I'm hearing. Some people said this could be "laid-back" character of the amp. So I'm not sure if it's bad caps or just the character of the amp. I have a technician, maybe I can ask them to test to see if it's needs servicing.

Right now I'm using it to drive a bass driver in my system and for that it's working pretty well, but I'm wondering if it could sound better.

The early klouts are not as clear sounding as the later crackle finish ones, I think it was something to do with the protection circuit which linn redesigned .

I have recapped a few clouts and its usually the protection circuit which gives up first preventing one channel from coming out of protection mode ie the led won't go from red to green when powered up.

Last edited:
It'll probably still sound more like a klump than a klout but probably worth trying.

The Klout is gone now and has been replaced by a Rotel RB-1070 and I'm MUCH happier with the sound, and the Rotel has volume trims which I need for bi-amping.

The Klout amp made my music sound like it had a woolen blanket over it. Not sure if it was supposed to be that way, but it certainly did sound like that.

advertisement

Back