advertisement

Old Thrash Metal albums

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
Recently been given a big pile of thrash metal albums and 12”s from the late 80’s. They are all pristine and were mostly bought on the day of release.

Looking through discogs sales history, pretty much every single one appears to be worth a fortune.

What gives? Who on earth is buying Nuclear Assault albums for £150? The world has gone mad.

Who on earth is buying Nuclear Assault albums for £150?
All the people who couldn't afford to buy it when they were 16 and taped it off a mate instead but now have a well paid job and large disposable income.

There's also the fact that records owned by 16 year old metalheads with cheap Saisho stereos are less common in NM- condition 35 years later so condition is at a premium.

All the people who couldn't afford to buy it when they were 16 and taped it off a mate instead but now have a well paid job and large disposable income.

There's also the fact that records owned by 16 year old metalheads with cheap Saisho stereos are less common in NM- condition 35 years later so condition is at a premium.
I get it, but I just can't imagine, much like the friend who dropped these round, still listening to Nuclear Assault at 50.
Whilst not my cup of tea, the DMM 45 rpm double of 'Master of Puppets' does sound pretty spectacular, though.

I get it, but I just can't imagine, much like the friend who dropped these round, still listening to Nuclear Assault at 50.
Whilst not my cup of tea, the DMM 45 rpm double of 'Master of Puppets' does sound pretty spectacular, though.
Not on regular rotation but I still enjoy some of those records. Slowly We Rot and Left Hand Path are often on my phone and I very much enjoyed listening to my copy of Leprosy for the first time in yonks recently. I think a lot of the music you love as a teenager stays with you.

Not played Nuclear Assault in a while but still got all my records.

I had a listening session just last week and played the following...

entombed left hand path
megadeth rust in peace
pestilence testimony of the ancients
atheist unquestionable presence

I was actually going to reply on the rock/metal fatigue thread and say that my ears were fine afterwards 🤘

This sort of stuff, and obscure US punk/hardcore, has been very collectable for a long while. It was never my thing so I’ve next to nothing, the only noteworthy item is Napalm Death’s From Enslavement To Obliteration with the free 7” (Discogs). I saw them live too, very, err, concise songs.

I have Nuclear Assaults Survive on picture disc and always intended to replace it (it sounds a bit noisy/wooshy from memory, although there's every chance it could be warped).
I don't think I'll be spending £70 for the UK first press or £130 for the US one 😮.

I used to like the Magnum album covers but was a bit disappointed when I borrowed an album from the library.

I remember lusting after that. Please register my interest and any other of the early albums. IIRC the first 3 were released in that format. Maybe I need to check the prices first...

I have to admit to a soft spot for Nuclear Assault. People do mean slightly different things by "thrash" though - witness Tony's Napalm Death reference, Electro Hippies, etc; John Peel's more challenging material from the mid eighties - but not really appealing to your average metal head. When I was a lad people used to refer to Big Black or the Jesus Lizard as "thrash" for example, even though they come from quite a different place.

Is love to see the list of records in this pile. Or even better some photos.
I’ll pop some pics up later.

Note that this is NOT a for sale thread and I will not respond to any offers off the back of this thread. Some of these may make their way to the classifieds eventually, but strictly within the limits stated in the AUP.

I remember lusting after that. Please register my interest and any other of the early albums. IIRC the first 3 were released in that format. Maybe I need to check the prices first...
I was never a fan back in the day, but I’m finding Metallica a lot more listenable than I expected. Orion from that record through 900w of class D and Kef 104/2s is biblical.

the SQ on the Metallica 12”s is also amazing. Weirdly, the gold vinyl Creeping Death is worth far less than the mint picture sleeve one.

Note thathis is NOT a for sale thread and I will not respond to any offers off the back of this thread. Some of these may make their way to the classifieds eventually, but strictly within the limits stated in the AUP.

I’m finding Metallica a lot more listenable than I expected. Orion from that record through 900w of class D and Kef 104/2s is biblical.

the SQ on the Metallica 12”s is also amazing. Weirdly, the gold vinyl Creeping Death is worth far less than the mint picture sleeve one.

totally understandable, I asked out of thrash-geekery / curiosity. Although I play and enjoy my old records I don't buy this sort of stuff anymore.

advertisement

Back