advertisement

Nytech CA352 Integrated Amp

badlyread

pfm Member
SK0ybqo.jpg
So I have had the Nytech CA352 for a while now and promised that I would write something about my impressions and thoughts. I am by no means an audiophile (whatever that is) but I have been interested in music reproduction since I was 16 when my father gave me an old system (Quad 33/303/FM3, Lenco GL75 and Roger LS3/5A speakers). I have had Exposure pre/power/PS but mainly Naim (many boxes) over the last 16 years or so settling on my 4th Chrome Bumper Nait2.

I love shoebox amps. The form factor and the quality of sound can be exceptional. So how did I get to the CA352? I saw an Ion Obelisk 3 for very little money on the Bay and as I had heard good things about them and it was bought for little money. I was impressed and started reading about the Nytech/Ion/Heed story and found out that Nytech were reborn via another forum member. I was curious about the shoebox CA352 and after a few phone calls with Phil Ballam (at Nytech) I ordered one. I should say at this point that most of my hifi purchases have been second hand and this purchase was a lot of money for me put I was assured that if I didn’t like it, it could go back. Phil provided emails with build progress with photos along the way. A lovely gentleman.

Some information about the system:

Primary source – Bluesound Node (V3) feeding Chord Qutest DAC via Mac Mini (server).
Other sources – Meridian 206 DS (internal DAC used), Rega Planar RP6 via iFi Zen Phono, Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge.
Speakers – Spendor Classic 4/5.
Cables – nothing special.

The 352 is very well built and very simple in its operation. A rocker switch at the back when in the ON position lights a red LED at the front (standby). A long hold of the power button causes the 4 LEDs to light up – green for the input being used and red for those not in use. A short press of the same power button moves to the next input and so on. Very simple. There is also a simple remote but I don’t use that (years of Nait2 ownership). Just 4 line level inputs, no phono or DAC. Keeping it simple again concentrating on the primary reason for this amp – to amplify.

After all this build up what do I want to say? Just that I love this amp. It just does what it is meant to do – amplify. And it does it very well. It is not shouty, in fact you might not be impressed at all on initial listening. You might worry about what you spent all that money on but rest assured it will get to you. You begin to realise that it just sounds right. There is space in the arrangements, attack and decay, all the usual clichés, instruments are easy to follow, tight bass etc.. You stop listening for all these things as the music just flows over you. It's all about the music. Extended listening sessions were not fatiguing at all just really enjoyable (that’s my take, yours may be different).

I have no idea of the amp’s topology or its specifications. I did ask Phil in passing what the specs were but it was just passed over and, to be honest, what does it matter? It will not make the amp sound any better. There is more than enough power there to drive the Spendors very easily.

As I mentioned this amp is not cheap but do I think it is worth it? Well, I’m playing more music and smiling a lot more when listening. I am even contemplating selling my CB Nait2. I think you have your answer.

If you want a simple, no nonsense amp that sounds very good and doesn’t distract from the music then please give this amp a listen. You might like it.

Thanks for the music Phil.

https://nytechaudio.com/

@Nytecholdie

Great review Neil.

I owned 2 Ion Obelisk amps, and both were stunning. Should never have sold them.

The most spacious sound and non fatiguing amps I've ever heard.

Last edited:
When I took my Obelisk 3 for a service the Xmas before last I wad due to have a demo of the Nytech pre/power amps when I went to collect it. Unfortunately Covid intervened so it didn't happen.
As you know I have a soft spot for shoebox size amps myself & the CA-352 is one I would love to try. I also like the idea of having something bespoke, handmade just for you.
Would also second your thoughts on Phil, a true gent with a fascinating background.
TS

Very little info about this amplifier, technical or otherwise but it seems quite expensive for a simple (low power?) Class A/B integrated with no DAC ,Streamer or phono stage.

There is only talk about the wood used for the side panels and that any extras would have raised the price!

I guess that is the cost of cottage industry products today ... .

The Enleum Amp-23r is £5000+, low powered and also has no ‘extras’. Excellent reviews. Sometimes simplicity is the best option.

Hear one and then make up your mind.

Thank you for the review. Very interesting to read.

There is quite a lot of "hidden" information about how the amp was conceived on various internet forums.
I believe it is a collaboration between Phil Balham, a german known as nrw???? on various forums and a austrian, lonh?, who used to sell and repair Nytech and Ion Systems amplifiers.
From what I can remenber from the old threads they took the Nytech 602S basic circuit, with output capacitor, and use modern high speed more linear output transistors with some further modifications, gyrator, stability circuit changed, to improve the design.

It looks like they succeeded!

There is quite a lot of "hidden" information about how the amp was conceived on various internet forums.
I believe it is a collaboration between Phil Balham, a german known as nrw???? on various forums and a austrian, lonh?, who used to sell and repair Nytech and Ion Systems amplifiers.
From what I can remenber from the old threads they took the Nytech 602S basic circuit, with output capacitor, and use modern high speed more linear output transistors with some further modifications, gyrator, stability circuit changed, to improve the design.

Correct. I had a power amp that I sold to nrw as part of his research. It was rarer than the widely available receiver. He reverse engineered it, I'd be interested to hear how much of it found its way into the final design. Hopefully the sound quality, which was great, but not the build, which was poor and the things were unreliable from new. I had a substantial bill from when the thing was only about 2 years old. A £300 item generating a £200 repair bill 40 years ago would have made most owners shop elsewhere, I'm glad I bought it for tenners some years later.

Hi all. Just a quick update on the current Nytech amps and a thank you to badlyread who has put this up with no prodding from me :)

The current Nytech integrated and pre power are not based on the original Nytech/Ion design because I wanted to see if I could create a new amplifier which kept the same sound signature to the classic amps and judging by feedback from both original Nytech owners and new users (who'd never heard of Nytech before we seem to have achieved our aim.

We don't harp on about specs because these days all the specs apart from power amplifier output power are pretty meaningless as marketeers play silly numbers games and make up their own yardsticks so comparison between products is impossible. If anybody wants "professional" specs against internationally known references then they have but to ask but better still let your ears decide with your own music in your own home :)

The amp referred to above by cpg and stevec67 is a meeting of minds with NWLer04 in Germany and Lohk in Austria (Both are PFM members) with the aim of taking the original Ion/Nytech designs to a new level.

They both spent a lot of time perfecting the design (with a little help from me:) into the really nice poweramp its now become. Discussions are ongoing as to whether its going to ever bear the Nytech name as its intended for a much more "up market" user which doesn't fit with the current Nytech customer but it will appear at some time and I'll be the first to sing its praises when it does as an awful lot of hard work has gone into it.

Anyway badlyread is enjoying his music rather than arguing about what capacitor sounds best or losing sleep that his speaker sockets are not plated with plutonium (not a good idea :)

So I consider our job done and many thanks for the kind words!

Happy listening!

PS for stevec67 - If the amp you sold to NWLer04 was a CPA602S then it was instrumental in the design (particularly the "S" bit" and the 602S itself sits proudly here in our collection of "Classic" Nytechs fully restored and singing away nicely :)

As mentioned in the post before, Klaus (lohk) and myself improved the old 602s design and took out all not necessary components, looked for best components, created a double Mono-Design with a dedicated toroid for each Chanel and a voltage regulator for each Chanel ..... there is a finished design which can be a successor of the well known 602/602s.

IUUijQt.jpg

2vb1btH.jpg

EyveANB.jpg

zISqJzK.jpg

And we are still in discussion with Phil :)

Have a look here: #237

Hi all

Just a quick note to say that our website has been completely re-written, so any old links, favourites or shortcuts (including any previously posted on PFM) to specific pages may no longer work.

If you end up on the "page not found" page then just click on one of the menu items at the top of the page that should get you where you want to go.
The Website URLs remain the same.

www.nytechaudio.com
www.nytechaudio.co.uk

Feel free to let us know what you think of the new site and thank you all for your continued support and encouragement :)

Hi all. Just a quick update on the current Nytech amps and a thank you to badlyread who has put this up with no prodding from me :)

The current Nytech integrated and pre power are not based on the original Nytech/Ion design because I wanted to see if I could create a new amplifier which kept the same sound signature to the classic amps and judging by feedback from both original Nytech owners and new users (who'd never heard of Nytech before we seem to have achieved our aim.

We don't harp on about specs because these days all the specs apart from power amplifier output power are pretty meaningless as marketeers play silly numbers games and make up their own yardsticks so comparison between products is impossible. If anybody wants "professional" specs against internationally known references then they have but to ask but better still let your ears decide with your own music in your own home :)

The amp referred to above by cpg and stevec67 is a meeting of minds with NWLer04 in Germany and Lohk in Austria (Both are PFM members) with the aim of taking the original Ion/Nytech designs to a new level.

They both spent a lot of time perfecting the design (with a little help from me:) into the really nice poweramp its now become. Discussions are ongoing as to whether its going to ever bear the Nytech name as its intended for a much more "up market" user which doesn't fit with the current Nytech customer but it will appear at some time and I'll be the first to sing its praises when it does as an awful lot of hard work has gone into it.

Anyway badlyread is enjoying his music rather than arguing about what capacitor sounds best or losing sleep that his speaker sockets are not plated with plutonium (not a good idea :)

So I consider our job done and many thanks for the kind words!

Happy listening

I’ve been curious and interested in your amps, this CA 352 integrated in particular, but still not sure why there would be no published usual basic user specs? I get the points above but some of this information would be useful to me to consider when matching in a system (speakers, room etc.)? Good luck and great to see the positive reviews and feedback.

As mentioned above in this thread my CB Nait2 has not been getting a look in. After 20 years of Naim ownership (mainly the Nait2) I have now sold the Nait2 (something that I thought I would do). The King is dead, long live the King!

Last edited:
Hi Woodface.

I have no connection to Nytech Audio whatsoever. I have owned and tried a fair few amplifiers in my time and I just think that this Nytech is rather good. They are a small British company that used to have a great reputation for sound quality. And they still do. It would be great if more people could hear this amp and the company was successful.

I’ll be quiet now.

advertisement

Back