advertisement

Nostalgia

My first CD player was a naim CDi, I then went CDX as I wanted the option of going XPS. I now have an ATC CDA2, the CD barely gets played since I bought an Innuos Zen Mini. I feel I have the best of all worlds & the best digital replay I’ve had.

My first cd player was some sort of Technics thing bought in January 1984. But the one I lust after is the Meridian MCD that I traded it in for a few months later (I was a student at the time and have no idea how I afforded it - I probably starved for a year…)

I’d love to own another one but I very much doubt that there are any left ‘alive’ now… And the nextel finish would be horrific.

I had a Sony Discman (was it called D50?) as first unit. Don't want to own that one again, it really sounded sh*te. Made me hate digital for several years.

Mission 760i se, bought from richer sounds when I was about 17-18. My first foray into audio, loved them little boxes!

Those led onto a Marantz CD63 ki sig CD player, and a Nait 3 amp.

Good times!

Do you use the onboard DAC and analogue output stage on the Zen mini or digital out into a separate DAC? @Woodface
I've never used the internal DAC, it just goes straight into the digital input in the CDA2. My dealer said the one in the ATC is better & I've took him at his word. Obviously what I should do is compare the two & agonise over which is better? I'm useless at this hi-fi game;)

@Woodface So if I understand this correctly you're really listening to the DAC and analogue output stage of your ATC CDA2 and using the Zen Mini as a ripper, server , streamer and storage component?
There's a genuine reason for me asking as I wondered how it as a stand alone product sounded, I quite fancy a Zen mini for a secondary system in the living room as I can have wired access to the Internet (no wired access in the music room) and have all my current CDs in one little box and use the other streaming functions.

This thread has got me digging various bits of kit out of the loft and checking to see if they still work and how they sound.

Today it's a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 that's probably been up there unused for a decade at least. I've got it rigged up and using its balanced outputs for the first time ever (as I didn't have an amp with balanced inputs back when it was last used). Sounds good although like every other time I've used the balanced inputs into my Krell the immediate thing I've noticed is how much louder they are. The difference isn't trivial and makes back to back comparisons tricky.

My first reel-to-reel was a Cossor CR1601 (rebadged Philips) brought from an ad in the local paper when I was 14 - it's long gone. A few years ago I found another on Ebay. It had been stored in a garage and needed a ton of work to bring it back to life, but it now works well and I've rediscovered some old tapes. I have better machines I could use, but nothing beats nostalgia!

Interestingly some of the faults my 14 year old self found on the original machine were also present on this one...

What I didn't realise at 14 was that some of the capacitors were probably already going leaky and that machine could record better than it could play back. The 'new' one is completely recapped and has no issue.

@Woodface So if I understand this correctly you're really listening to the DAC and analogue output stage of your ATC CDA2 and using the Zen Mini as a ripper, server , streamer and storage component?
There's a genuine reason for me asking as I wondered how it as a stand alone product sounded, I quite fancy a Zen mini for a secondary system in the living room as I can have wired access to the Internet (no wired access in the music room) and have all my current CDs in one little box and use the other streaming functions.
Yes, the CDA2 has an inbuilt DAC so I connect to that direct from the Zen Mini. I believe the inbuilt DAC within the Zen is OK. The Zen is effectively a digital transport, I think its great, pay the extra £100 for 2TB & you'll never run out of space. The digital volume is also very good, perfect for tweaking levels between loud recordings.

advertisement

Back