advertisement

NOS Tannoy 15” Reds!

Tony L

Administrator
Wow! Want! I hate to think where they’ll end up, but I’ll be watching this one closely.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Are they NOS? How do these compare to Monitor Golds? I don't know the difference. Very interested myself and actually came here to post about them. Mind you, £3k is too rich for me sadly, but it would be an awesome project to design and build some cabinets for a good quality set of Tannoys.

I’d pay £3k for them all day long. I suspect they’ll make £10k, maybe more. A used pair of 15” Reds tends to be £4.5-5.5 from what I can tell. The fact the cones are so dark in colour backs the NOS claim. They look amazing and exactly right to my eyes. Tannoys fade badly in daylight, even behind grilles. My Golds are about an elephant grey. These certainly look like they’ve been kept in the boxes. The risk is we don’t know if they even work.

As a rule of thumb each preceding generation of classic Tannoy is worth twice the next, e.g. Silvers 2xRed, Red 2xGold, Gold 2xHPD etc. Debate reins as to whether Silvers or Reds are the best.

These are pristine. Look at the connectors etc.

Best? Vintage amp' or otherwise? Very careful use or f*** it? If the latter, either way, for sure go with HPD.

I’d pay £3k for them all day long. I suspect they’ll make £10k, maybe more. A used pair of 15” Reds tends to be £4.5-5.5 from what I can tell. The fact the cones are so dark in colour backs the NOS claim. They look amazing and exactly right to my eyes. Tannoys fade badly in daylight, even behind grilles. My Golds are about an elephant grey. These certainly look like they’ve been kept in the boxes. The risk is we don’t know if they even work.

As a rule of thumb each preceding generation of classic Tannoy is worth twice the next, e.g. Silvers 2xRed, Red 2xGold, Gold 2xHPD etc. Debate reins as to whether Silvers or Reds are the best.
That's interesting, Tony, would that make these silvers a bit of a steal then? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28574853...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not sure bargain is the right word, but they are not far off their money. As with vinyl, watches, guitars etc condition is everything and these Reds do look exceptional and very likely NOS. The Silvers clearly are clearly showing their age.

£4.3k which is potentially an absolute bargain. I bottled it, didn’t bid, just too much risk without real details. As an example one crossover had clearly been mounted, so I’m not sure whether they were NOS. If I’d known for sure they were good I’d actually have gone to £4.5k, but that’s way too much money to gamble.

I bid £4216, if they'd turned up and were trashed I'd just have returned them, at least ebay is good for that - pretty safe to take a punt.

If you watch something it’ll give you the winning bid.

Use Gixen to bid for you too rather than excite sellers.

If you watch something it’ll give you the winning bid.

No, it gives you the final selling price. the actual bid could be double, ten times, one hundred times the selling price - that is how EPay works.

I gave up not using a sniper, long ago. Every once in a while I win something at a fraction of my sniper bid, but mostly it is close.

Ah, yes the winning bid could have been higher yes of course. I spend tens of thousands at auctions yearly, and I was saying it’s awful being the underbidder on something That you‘re willing to pay more for, but had only left a live bid. Sniping something in the last seconds does win more auctions, at lower prices I believe, especially if there are zero bids. Also shill bidding takes place so often if a seller gets one early bid, and then decides it’s too cheap and asks his/her mates to bump it up. A snipe removes that opportunity.

Try bidding on Yahoo Auctions in Japan (they basically don't use EPay) - nightmare.

I have never investigated how exactly it works, but if there are a lot of late bids, the auction automatically extends for 5(?) minutes, and that can happen several times so long as several bids roll in. Excellent for the seller, arguably fairer to them, since snipers happened, but it reallty it relies on people getting sucked into bidding wars, which is where I will not go.

That’s an auction site I’ve never got involved in either!

But it works like this - basically an auction does not end until there hasn’t been a bid for 5 mins, so if someone bids within the five minute timer, it restarts a new 5 minute timer - it’s an anti snipe mechanism.

I've used it many times, using a sniper and 90+% of the time it is fine.

The real PITA is when the auction ends and you APPEAR to have the winning bid, the screen goes blank/flickers, and then the rolling extended end of auction cuts in. I do not go there. If I (or someone else) has misjudged the value, so be it.

That is what a first look says.
What that does not say is what the actual winning bid was. It could have been £10K. Only EPay and the winning bidder will ever know.
This isn't true - just search for completed/sold items and you will see. Sold for something over £4300... If you were watching the sold item will show in your completed items part of your watchlist.

advertisement

Back