advertisement

No More Meat.

People on here do realise that transport accounts only for a small fraction of food emissions? It's better to eat shipped fruits than it is to eat local beef. Orders of magnitude better. What you eat matters far more than where it comes from.

Charmed, I'm sure.
Think before you make a comment, then, if you don't want to look like a moron. A human produces about 0.66kg of CO2 per day from respiration, so 240kg per year. The EU per capita emissions average is 7700kg per year. The massive increase in CO2 is from everything else we are now doing since the industrial revolution.

Think before you make a comment, then, if you don't want to look like a moron. A human produces about 0.66kg of CO2 per day from respiration, so 240kg per year. The EU per capita emissions average is 7700kg per year. The massive increase in CO2 is from everything else we are now doing since the industrial revolution.
I haven't said otherwise, it was a reply to the post about CO2 in asparagus farts. You should try looking at context and doing some thinking yourself before jumping to your own moronic inferences about what you think I might have said or implied. Or just carry on looking like an offensive moron.

I haven't said otherwise, it was a reply to the post about CO2 in asparagus farts. You should try looking at context and doing some thinking yourself before jumping to your own moronic inferences about what you think I might have said or implied. Or just carry on looking like an offensive moron.
Ok. I'm sorry about my comment then. I hope the asparagus farts comment -- which I did see -- was a joke and doesn't have to be responded to.

Taking milk from cows to make ghee and letting them live a full life is in my book somewhat more menschlich than raising them to be butchered for human consumption.
It's not a full life. The continually impregnate them while they can and kill them when they are no longer economically viable -- which is usually at a fraction of their natural lifespan. Some life.

No livestock industry?

No cream, no cheese, no ice-cream, no yoghourt, no eggs, no cakes, no Yorkie pud's............................................ the list is beyond endless.

Also beyond endless are the baked items that have extended shelf-lives courtesy of "mono- and di- glyciderides of fatty acids" that will use the greatest, cheapest source of tri-gylcerides as a raw material. That is animal fats, of which there is an abundance. Get rid of them and prices for baked goods will soar - either the glycerides will be made from plant fats or they will be dropped from recipes and shelf-lives will shrink..
Weird how I can eat vegan versions of most of the things you've listed. I don't eat a lot of junk food and don't care for cheese though, but I've made enough vegan baked goods and they always get good reviews. Let's see the prices of these things without dairy subsidies?

Ok. I'm sorry about my comment then. I hope the asparagus farts comment -- which I did see -- was a joke and doesn't have to be responded to.
Apology accepted, thank you. You're new here, aren't you? Signed up half an hour ago, it seems. If I were you I would consider spending some time getting to know people who hang around here so you can see their remarks in context.

Anyone who has taken a biology course and read the chapter on ecology will have come across the energy pyramid, trophic levels, biomass transfer efficiency, and the 10 percent law.

1024px-Ecological_Pyramid.svg.png

At the bottom of the energy pyramid are the primary producers, essentially anything that photosynthesizes. Next level up are the primary consumers or the herbivores. Secondary consumers are carnivores, and on it goes until you get to apex predators — the critters that eat critters that eat critters that eat herbivores that eat plants.

There's a reason why primary producers are as common as plants (see what I did there?) while apex predators are so rare that when you see one you take notice, maybe take a picture of it and stick it on your Instagram feed.

Only about 10 percent of the energy in any one trophic level is available to the next, the exception being the first level as plants capture only about 1 percent of the sun's energy. So, say 10,000 Joules of energy from the sun fails on a plain. Of this energy, about 100 Joules make it into the body of the plants. Then, when eaten by white-tailed deer, only 10% of the plant's energy is available to the deer, so we're down to 10 Joules. Then the wolf, or Vinny, eats the deer, of which only about 1 joule of the original energy from the sun has made it to his belly.

I've simplified it, but the general principal holds — as energy is transferred from one trophic level to the next, from primary producer to primary consumer to secondary consumers and so on, less and less of the original energy is available to the subsequent trophic levels.

This is why producing meat is an inefficient use of resources, and incidentally how one particular primate has drastically altered the Earth's biomass in its pursuit of carnivory.

Want to live lightly on the planet? Figure out how to photosynthesize. But seeing as you can't do that, try herbivory.

Joe

Harry Metcalfe‘s considered response regarding British beef farming;

This is excellent, and a really important perspective. British farmers are tearing their hair out over the continual use of global statistics when considering the environmental impact of beef production. It's been Mr Metcalf's beef(!) for some time & he's done previous YouTube videos around the subject.

Harry Metcalfe‘s considered response regarding British beef farming;

Any chance of a quick summary? I skimmed through the first couple of minutes and his argument seemed to be based on land use arguing that the only thing you can grown on most British land is cows. I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Let's see the prices of these things without dairy subsidies?

What might they be?
UK farmers are getting grants to farm sypathetically to nature now, not to produce anything. You are stuck in the 1960's/70's. Even the MMB was dissolved in 1994.

the exception being the first level as plants capture only about 1 percent of the sun's energy. So, say 10,000 Joules of energy from the sun fails on a plain. Of this energy, about 100 Joules make it into the body of the plants.

That is presumably due to there being gaps between plants?
Around 40-45% of all radiation reaching the earth's surface from the sun COULD be used for photosynthesis, albeit wavelengths in the yellow-orage-red are most effective.
If this were not so, artificial lighting of greenhouse crops would never be an economic proposition.

Any chance of a quick summary? I skimmed through the first couple of minutes and his argument seemed to be based on land use arguing that the only thing you can grown on most British land is cows. I'm sure there's more to it than that.

The biggest confusing factor is that a great deal of beef is produced on felled rain forest, and that loss of forest is incuded in average world CO2 figures.
Figures for UK only have an average of something like 26kg of CO2 per kg of beef produced, but ranging from 5kg to 50kg CO2.

The UK eats around 1 million cattle per year and something like 2% is imported from places like Brazil where it is produced in feed lots (as is common in the US), and/or grazed of felled forest. (Cattle in feed lots also produce a lot more CO2 per kg meat).

I may mis-remember, but I recall figures for various grazers being published a while back and if memory is correct, (wild) deer are horrendous producers of CO2. There are around 2 million deer, 22 million sheep and 10 million cattle in the UK.

The biggest confusing factor is that a great deal of beef is produced on felled rain forest, and that loss of forest is incuded in average world CO2 figures.
Figures for UK only have an average of something like 26kg of CO2 per kg of beef produced, but ranging from 5kg to 50kg CO2.

A Brazilian might point out that most UK production, building and road network is sitting on felled forest.

We reached peak oak in the time of the Armada.

A Brazilian might point out that most UK production, building and road network is sitting on felled forest.

That might be true, to some point, but

The concensus is that the UK was never heavily wooded, but more like the New Forest is now - scattered copses and bits of woodland across basically open contryside/scrub.
The UK must also be planting way more trees that it fells today - not something that Brazil could come even close to claiming.

Vinny,

The 1 percent figure for plants (on average across many species) is attributable to photosynthetic efficiency, though calling it photosynthetic inefficiency would be more accurate. It’s worse than Rogers LS3/5A levels of inefficiency.

Joe

Why indeed, but I have challenged the poster and accepted his apology. The poster in question joined last night and made a few posts in a short period of time before disappearing. He/she hasn't returned today.
So no duel at dawn tomorrow.

advertisement

Back