advertisement

Nikon vs Canon pt XXIV

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
Watching coverage of sporting events, it used to be that one only saw photographers carrying Canon gear, and the sea of white lens barrels. Same went for political and other news events.

Now I'm starting to see a number of Nikon users sneaking into the press corps at sporting events. Canon seems to retain their hegemony for news gathering though.

Has something changed, to alter the balance?

I must be older than you, as I remember the press being almost entirely Nikon-issued. Until suddenly Canon took over. In the 70s and 80s it was all Nikon F3, then F4.

Canon gained the upper hand in the late 80’s when it abandoned the FD mount and introduced the excellent EOS system with a fully electronic interface between lens and camera for lens aperture and focus. Nikon preferred to keep backwards compatibility with the F mount which resulted in technical compromises.

In recent times there is a lot less between the brands technologically. Sony and Canon got the early jump with subject tracking tech in mirrorless cameras. Nikon seems to have caught up with the Z9, which was also priced extremely competitively.

advertisement

Back