advertisement

Nigel kennedy

It would help to narrow it first to genre, then work! Kennedy has played everything from Vivaldi to Hendrix!

Just seen him on that awful C4 prog, is it Sunday Brunch?
He always seems a good craic and certainly put a mile of effort into a Vivaldi snippet.
I am not sure I would buy into his music but his latest tour of smaller venues may tempt me to see him.

Bloss

Saw him doing the Four Seasons with a youth orchestra at the Proms a couple of years ago. Highly enjoyable. However, his recording of the same (from a while back) is not the best available by a long chalk. Not sure if that helps!

I admit to having a rather eclectic taste in music.

His "New Seasons" is an interesting listen. Definitely not to everyone's taste. It has the most amazing energy but there some rather odd variations from the score.

I also find very enjoyable his 2013 "Recital".

He is undoubtedly extremely talented with a silvery tone that's very romantic and distinctive. Try his Elgar Concerto disc with Rattle. It's accompanied by the most yearningly beautiful rendition of Lark ascending. It's slow but heartfelt with pianissimos that barely register, such is the control. People are sometimes sniffy about him because of his move into popular music, but I think this is unfair. He chose crossover long ago and he seems to enjoy it far more than he did the classical world.

There is Sibelius Violin Concerto that he recorded a while ago, and I think that really works with his style, in a way that baroque doesn't.

His early work is the best. He plays the Sibelius very well. My favourite of all his recordings though is his version of the Bartok Solo Violin Sonata. He paired it with an arrangement of Ellington's Black and Tan. Lovely tone colours. I can live without the more recent stuff in particular the liberties he takes on regular occasions with the four seasons.

His early work is the best. He plays the Sibelius very well. My favourite of all his recordings though is his version of the Bartok Solo Violin Sonata. He paired it with an arrangement of Ellington's Black and Tan. Lovely tone colours. I can live without the more recent stuff in particular the liberties he takes on regular occasions with the four seasons.

Agreed.
Errol.

I agree he doesn't seem like a Nige. Its just me trying to type fast and missing out the L!!!!
Sorry Nigel,
Tony. B

Well, he's a big Villa fan, so it's not all bad. Haven't they done rather well this season?

advertisement

Back