advertisement

Nice new ZYX Cartridge available and on Demonstration

GT

pfm Member
L1464680-e1579341300609.jpeg

A very nice sounding cartridge with a wonderfully rich and full-bodied midrange. Quite an upgrade from the older R100 series. I am putting this down to the new carbon fibre cantilever and slightly revised design.

ZYX are top of my list when I eventually get around to a proper cart upgrade, I'm not sure I can run to a new one though, they're quite spendy these days.

ZYX are top of my list when I eventually get around to a proper cart upgrade, I'm not sure I can run to a new one though, they're quite spendy these days.

Don't forget the cartridge has to be matched to the tonearm which almost certainly means buying a new one. Prices start at £800

Does the ZYX play well with upper Rega arms?

Absolutely! There is probably not a better match. Origin Live used to sell ZYX cartridges to go with their tonearms as they are mostly based around the Rega.

What’s the trade in allowance on a new ZYX ?

ZYX Exchange Scheme:
A ZYX moving coil cartridge may be traded in against an equivalent (or superior) model and qualify for a 25% discount of the cost of the original cartridge when it was new. Basically, you get 25% of the cost of your existing ZYX cartridge which goes towards the new model, whether equivalent or a superior model.

Note: the ZYX cartridge being exchanged or upgraded must have been bought in the UK with UK serial numbers.

ZYX Exchange Scheme:
A ZYX moving coil cartridge may be traded in against an equivalent (or superior) model and qualify for a 25% discount of the cost of the original cartridge when it was new. Basically, you get 25% of the cost of your existing ZYX cartridge which goes towards the new model, whether equivalent or a superior model.

Note: the ZYX cartridge being exchanged or upgraded must have been bought in the UK with UK serial numbers.[/QUOTE

My Fuji still has a bit of life in it yet so I will contact you for a new Ultimate 100 in due course.

Reactions: GT
I have now put a few hours of playing time on this cartridge and I can tell you it is very very good, and it seems to get better day by day. I have gone from a Transfiguration Proteus to this and there is not a lot in it apart from the ZYX having more body and drive. Goodness knows what their other more sophisticated Ultimate models must sound like if this is anything to go by...

I've owned the high-output (H) version of the Zyx Ultimate 100 since 2017, and (still!) think it is excellent. Here's the review I posted earlier:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/125420-zyx-ultimate-100h-mc-cartridge/

Like GT, I think the carbon cantilever makes the Zyx 'house sound' - fast, highly detailed, tonal clarity across the frequencies - even better. Unfortunately, I can't afford the higher-end Ultimate range carts, but I've used an older Airy 2 for many years, and the Ultimate 100H is clearly better.

"topoxforddoc, link. Sounds definitely like one to consider. how much is this cartridge?

Did you get an answer to your question topdoc?

advertisement

Back