advertisement

New turntable?

redeye

pfm Member
Hello Champions šŸ˜€

Been a while since Iā€™ve been on here but I feel the need for speed (experienced advice)

Listening right now to Talking Heads 77 on record via Pioneer PL71 with ā€œmumblemumbleā€ cartridge and Moon phono stage
Got the itch for more ..

2024 LP12, Xerxes, Well Tempered or Rega? I live in New Zealand so choices NOT unlimited

Anyone? Mainly roots, rock, reggae and all the weird tunes that followed. Pushing 60 now so a one and done solution to ā€œsee me outā€ would be cool. Iā€™ve tried digital but itā€™s always the LP /turntable that wakes me up from middle age stupor. Thanks

Yes Well Tempered or Rega are both good shouts. I have both here, the Rega is a backup to my Amadeus GTA. I couldn't tell you about the others but support in NZ is the issue to look into.

I am a happy LP12 owner. However, if buying new, and particularly if I wanted a no-maintenance and no worry option, Iā€™d look elsewhere. Specifically, Iā€™d hear Technics versus Rega versus Well Tempered versus Vertere. Vertere is the current firm of the chap who designed the original Xerxes and they make very good turntables indeed.

If you can justify spending to yourself the sort of money that can buy you a new car, then Iā€™d also seriously consider the pretty amazing Brinkmann Bardo, and maybe the TW Raven (also from Germany).

Mind you, I believe that Auckland (at least) has a Linn dealer, and Iā€™d expect there to be a Technics dealer somewhere, but I donā€™t know about the others.

The top tip surely is that turntables do not all sound the same, so please donā€™t spend that kind of money without extensive listening.

Good luck! Please let us all know how you get on.

Hello Champions šŸ˜€

Been a while since Iā€™ve been on here but I feel the need for speed (experienced advice)

Listening right now to Talking Heads 77 on record via Pioneer PL71 with ā€œmumblemumbleā€ cartridge and Moon phono stage
Got the itch for more ..

2024 LP12, Xerxes, Well Tempered or Rega? I live in New Zealand so choices NOT unlimited

Anyone? Mainly roots, rock, reggae and all the weird tunes that followed. Pushing 60 now so a one and done solution to ā€œsee me outā€ would be cool. Iā€™ve tried digital but itā€™s always the LP /turntable that wakes me up from middle age stupor. Thanks
Well Tempered!

Whoa, hold on a mo.

If you have a Pioneer PL71, then you already own a very capable direct drive turntable, so I would be in no hurry at all to change it!

Get shot of the mumblemumble cartridge and treat it to something decent and possibly a better headshell, before you spend hundreds on something that could well be a ā€˜sidegradeā€™ at best.

Roots, rock, reggae. Heading for your 60ā€™s - got to be a ā€œpre Cirkusā€ LP12 :cool:

Works for me - I am mid sixties, like your choice of music (would add blues,female led vocal, some ā€œnew waveā€œ, a little folk/country as I get older).

Friend on here has a tricked out LP12 with the top bearing (Karosel?) and a Naim Aro with a Dynavector cart.

Heā€™s bought a Well Tempered and itā€™s been keeping the LP12 in the box.

Pretty much theyā€™ll take any cartridge you like as well.

If you didnā€™t fancy the fluid bath arm support go Rega. However once the Well Tempered is installed thatā€™s it. Such a bargain. Damn good deck.

The tendency is for these threads to turn into a debate about the merits of quite different approaches. There isn't necessarily a right answer.

Having been through lots of decks over the years, I've ended up as a Rega 10 user; but I really think there is something in what Beobloke says - especially given your musical preferences.

Something made a bit closer to home @redeye

When people say they want a change I think the first question should always be 'What don't you like about what you have now?'.

Changing a fundamental component like a turntable is a big deal and often involves losses as well as gains. Other people liking something doesn't mean you will, many love the top Rega turntables, I prefer the LP12. If you have become used to the character of your current turntable you might not like something radically different.

So the question is, what don't you like about what you have now?

@redeye

This is a very good steer.

Simon at DESIGN BUILD LISTEN will probably be able to arrange a home demo for you.

I use the WAND PLUS arm on our springless LP12 hot-rod - replaced a mint ITTOK - and I can report that it is an absolute joy!

Perhaps give the entire WAND deck a listen?

Last edited:
The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

1000px-Pioneer_PL-71-Prospekt-1.jpg

In the past 30 years I've had several TT's. Started with Rega Planar 3, then went to LP12, later got it 'Naimed' with Aro, Armageddon, Prefix, then a switch to Rega P9 and onwards to Michell Gyro SE. And after that, in a sort of an impulse, I bought a Tehnics SL1210GR and sold the Gyro. That's almost 4 years ago now and I'm happy as a clown.

Like a lot of people, Iā€™ve owned LP12s, Xerxes and Rega P9 &10. All have their merits. I heard a PL71 and liked it so much that I bought one. Subsequently bought a second PL71 when I saw one at a bargain price. These are now the only ttā€™s I own.

I know nothing about the cartridge used by the OP but the Pioneer arm is high mass so best suited to something like a Denon 103 et al.

Itā€™s a superb turntable and I would counsel the OP to tread very carefully. A lot of money could be spent for little or no improvement.

Whoa, hold on a mo.

If you have a Pioneer PL71, then you already own a very capable direct drive turntable, so I would be in no hurry at all to change it!

Get shot of the mumblemumble cartridge and treat it to something decent and possibly a better headshell, before you spend hundreds on something that could well be a ā€˜sidegradeā€™ at best.
This. The PL71 was very much a 'turntable to have' a few years ago - if it's in decent nick give it a good cartridge and headshell and you should be good to go. Looks good too

advertisement

Back