advertisement

New Seiko Retro Range

Wife bought mine from "the watch warehouse" in LA as there were no UK stockests. Priced in USD plus vat and the twelve pounds premium for the customs collection.
DHL was 2 days from LA to UK and wife says the vendor was really nice to work with.
One observation of the watch is the absence of a mechanical wind but the auto wind is good. Had a lazy day yesterday and selp in this morning until nine oclock and found the watch had stopped thirty minutes previously.

Xenogeneticists are attempting to track down the Oris wearer as it is possible they may be a teenage werewolf.

Apparently they have a number of suspects, each of whom they will have a quick game of basketball with to winnow them down.

Another retro-hommage, this one of the classic 6309 diver:

SRP777K1_Seiko_Automatik_Prospex_Diver_Turtle.jpg

As nice as it is, I am not a fan of new watches. Give me a nice condition original 6309 or 6306 (Japanese domestic model) any time. Uh, in fact, I have them both...:D

Another retro-hommage, this one of the classic 6309 diver:

SRP777K1_Seiko_Automatik_Prospex_Diver_Turtle.jpg

As nice as it is, I am not a fan of new watches. Give me a nice condition original 6309 or 6306 (Japanese domestic model) any time. Uh, in fact, I have them both...:D

So would you turn down an NOS version of one of your favourites? People need to trust their own taste and not be afraid to buy new designs. This helps innovation and you might gut get a future classic for its original price. (Yes I know there are great s/h bargains).

I agree about supporting new design vs retro. Which of today's watches in a similar price range do you think will be regarded with the fondness and respect afforded these Seikos in 30 or 40 years?

Many manufacturers (Seiko included) seem to copy one anthers designs these days. You seem to have set choices between the obligatory two button plus "winder" multi dial chronograph, simple lines of the dress watch or the divers/pilots type affairs and remove the makers name, most would be hard to tell apart. There seems to be less innovation in style than perhaps there was in the 60's and 70's, although technology has brought us more accurate watches and advanced things like solar powered and automatic movements.

I've taken the plunge and just bought an SNKM97 recraft with the green dial as it appeals. I could still kick myself for letting go the original Bellmatic I was given after failing to get the strap mended back in the 90's...oh well, you live and learn!

I agree about supporting new design vs retro. Which of today's watches in a similar price range do you think will be regarded with the fondness and respect afforded these Seikos in 30 or 40 years?

Good shout, put me on the spot!!

From Citizen how about an Orca or the Citizen Eco Drive Promaster Diver Aqualand JV0055. Seiko are still doing variations on the Monster (Prospex SRP653 for example), pick a good face colour and mechanism. A Kinetic divers in Pepsi colours as these are always collectable.

I recently got a steel one for her and titanium one for me of these: Seiko 5M42-0H49. Not new but a good deal used.

Don't forget the Grand Seikos. They might end up being viewed as the grand Japanese hifi bits from the 70/80s. Obviously a very different price range. In this price range the Ikepod watches could be worth picking up thinking in terms of the Apple Watch.

So would you turn down an NOS version of one of your favourites? People need to trust their own taste and not be afraid to buy new designs. This helps innovation and you might gut get a future classic for its original price. (Yes I know there are great s/h bargains).

I am not sure if I follow what you are saying, but I am fine with a NOS original that's old but not new watches (even one that's retro in design). I am just a vintage sort of guy (& not just in watches)! I've ended up giving away or selling all the newish watches I've bought over the years because I just did not love them enough.

I agree that one should be confident to buy new innovative designs. Seiko is certainly no laggard in this area and the retro stuff is really just a very small part of their overall product range.

I am not sure if I follow what you are saying,

I agree that one should be confident to buy new innovative designs. Seiko is certainly no laggard in this area and the retro stuff is really just a very small part of their overall product range.

Don't worry it was a point about not buying new and I was asking if you would buy new if it was NOS. But you have carried on saying things I agree with and I applaud your stance. I like a bit of vintage but I like a bit of modern. Recent cars were a Jensen and a newish Merc SLK so I swing both ways. I do challenge myself and don't repeat buy. For example with spectacles as an adult (older than NHS specials!) it is a new pair every 2 years, different style (not a subtle variation) and not a retro style, I move forward every time. Go to a good optician and take a risk. I go here.

http://www.auerbach-steele.com

I case you didn't realise, this matters to me.

I love Seiko

It is the only high quality brand I trust that does not try and say anything about status.

Well, guess what turned up by way of DHL today?

I only ordered this from Los Angeles about 4 days ago!

IMG_0690_zps2mj6rzda.jpg

IMG_0691_zps9ic2u96x.jpg

I have to say, for the money, it's a steal. Much better made than I was expecting, well finished and has a similar chunky feel to my old Belmatic.

Looks much better in the flesh than in the photos. The timekeeping so far seems to be spot on and my only gripe is that the day appears first in English then (past midday) in French for reasons I don't understand as the instructions weren't specific to this watch, but was the usual Seiko general handbook issued with its mid-range watches. The movement isn't Japanese but is made in Malaysia as with some other Seiko movements these days.

It's big on the wrist, but doesn't look out of place and that green dial is very classy and takes me back to some of the watches my uncles wore in the 1960's and 70's.

Overall, couldn't be happier. It joins a few others including a Titanium chrono but this will probably become my everyday watch.

That's really not helping me resist ordering one ...to sit alongside the Orange Monster and mil-style '5' I all ready have.

Most Seiko watches are not made in Japan any more; they wouldn't be price competitive otherwise! The exceptions are the higher end models such as the Grand Seiko and Marinemaster etc.

Unfortunately the quality is not the same as during the 70s and 80s..

Funny I have 3, one ten years old, one five, one three, none of them have ever been serviced, all run like a dream. Perhaps you've bought poorly.

I have a cheapo Seiko 5 (SNK 805K2), non Japanese made, bought on Ebay for next to nothing, it's had continuous wear for nearly 3 years, no problems. I have a Japanese Seiko for special occasions, again no drama.

I fancy a Seiko diver of some sort, managed to hold off so far.

The timekeeping so far seems to be spot on and my only gripe is that the day appears first in English then (past midday) in French for reasons I don't understand as the instructions weren't specific to this watch, but was the usual Seiko general handbook issued with its mid-range watches. The movement isn't Japanese but is made in Malaysia as with some other Seiko movements these days.
I think it's actually Spanish, but no matter. To set the 7s26 movement you should set the date in English to the day before today's date. Then wind the time forwards, past midnight, at which point it gets to the right date, then go forward to the right time of day. It will then stay in the selected language. If it doesn't, it's faulty. When it changes, at midnight, it will take an hour or two to sort out the date stuff, but that's the price of having a cheap movement. What you are describing is a 7s26 set up to change the date at midday, and you watching it do so over the course of an hour or two. You're 12 hours out.

Really like that Seiko. Still happy with the BC3 though, now aged 7 and going well.

23998218962_3a311d9306_z.jpg

Mr Tibbs

I think it's actually Spanish, but no matter. To set the 7s26 movement you should set the date in English to the day before today's date. Then wind the time forwards, past midnight, at which point it gets to the right date, then go forward to the right time of day. It will then stay in the selected language. If it doesn't, it's faulty. When it changes, at midnight, it will take an hour or two to sort out the date stuff, but that's the price of having a cheap movement. What you are describing is a 7s26 set up to change the date at midday, and you watching it do so over the course of an hour or two. You're 12 hours out.

Thanks for the tip on date setting Steve. The movement is actually Malaysian on these, as indicated on the rear cover.

Sorry, I meant Spanish is the second language in the date mechanism, not the movement. I think all/most 7s26 movements are Malaysian. You won't get a Made in Japan mechanical watch for under £100, for obvious reasons.

The model number tells you whether it's Japanese or "other". Some Seikos are made both in and out of Japan, so the models might be SNx123J and SNx123K, where "J" is Japan and "K" elsewhere, often Malaysia.

I think the 7s26 movements are well regarded, bearing in mind their low cost. Tales abound of them in daily use for 10 years plus without servicing, then becoming unreliable before being serviced and ticking on for a similar length of time. Any watchmaker can service them, the only snag being that mine was £40 brand new 3 years ago. That's not much of a service and when it gets glitchy it's usually getting replaced with a new one.

advertisement

Back