advertisement

New Rega Speakers - Aya

A complete, nice surprise and a move away from their trademark side firing bass driver design. Looking forward to the launch, may be one for Bristol next year.

Tantalizing system picture - no amplifier but compensated by a first showing of the Naia.

Reading through the manual, Rega recommend using their SC1 speaker cable (which is not showing as yet).

A breath of fresh air again.

Hope they sound good. The bottom area around the feet looks odd to me. Perhaps it makes more sense in the flesh

Would like to hear these. Visually they’d work well with the old Trilogy Vti integrated that has very similar looking feet

A shame Rega hasn’t made a sealed box speaker instead. They aren’t constrained by outside companys driver designs after all.

Interesting but bit worried the midrange does not have its own enclosure if the render is correct...

(As an owner of R9s and a lot of previous Rega speakers)

AYA__line.jpg_%281%29_.jpg

Very interesting choice and use of cabinet material and should be theoretically very inert

Is that a perceived good design for speakers then? Only I can think of quite a long list that aren't inert that sound great, again we seem to be kneeling at the altar of deadening/inertness/rigidity for the sake of it. Surely if that is the goal then it is simply done with basic materials?

I do like the look of them. Elegant yet unassuming.

I expect we'll see at least one more design like this?

I think for me, these will just remain a curiosity. I hope they do well for Rega, but I also hope they make some more traditional wood version’s in time.

Very interesting choice and use of cabinet material and should be theoretically very inert, so quite curious as to how these will sound.

Concrete is anything but inert, an unsupported paving slab rings like a doorbell, as do most stone-like materials!

Rega are IMHO a bright light in a universe of dumb audio thinking so I bet they have modelled this very carefully and placed the resonances exactly where they want them (as they did with their ceramic platter). The cabinet walls look thin and I’m very curious as to the bond material between baffle and the rear cabinet. I’m expecting intelligence here; just from that cutaway sketch upthread I can tell these are not another brain-dead variation on the high-mass (MDF etc) design school which has made so much modern high-end audio sound so bad. These are actually interesting!

PS Interesting to see an ‘acoustic filter’ divider, I guess conceptually fairly similar to the thick felt ‘shelf’ in my ancient aperiodic-loaded Lockwood cabs.

advertisement

Back