advertisement

New Ortofon 2M range

pfbaat

pfm Member
Any news about these ?
They should be made a better fit to Rega turntables due to shorter body, no longer worries about spacers needed.
Am I right ?
I hope they have improved performance too, the Red was terrible and Black was difficult to dial in.

Where is this information coming from?

I was finally able to acquire a PnP headshell and wanted to get a Bronze or a Black to have "a higher end" MM with an integrated headshell. Should I hurry up? :)

I didn't find the height of the old ones a problem on Rega arms.
I believe your one out of twenty then.
People seem to trust their eyesight, if tonearm is not parallel with platter they want to fit spacers on their Rega deck.

Maybe Ortofon will explain why they come up with new 2M cartridges, guess they can't ignore Rega's market share.

It always seemed obvious to me that Ortofon had Rega's RB tonearms in mind when they came up with the new outer hull for their OM series generator.

Ortofon-2-M-Red-on-Rega.jpg

c
Any news about these ?
They should be made a better fit to Rega turntables due to shorter body, no longer worries about spacers needed.
Am I right ?
I hope they have improved performance too, the Red was terrible and Black was difficult to dial in.

“we do not recommend use spacers for aligning of 2M Black & MC Quintet Black cartridges on the Rega tonearm. Both cartridges use Nude Shibata diamond, that is very sensitive for the correct VTA adjustment, which can hardly be obtained using spacers”

Most recent version pre-mounted for technics

Maybe Ortofon will explain why they come up with new 2M cartridges, guess they can't ignore Rega's market share
OEM standard for about 60% Hifi , 95% DJ of the global market with Technics / Project doubt Rega have the volume required for short body Oem specials

ortofon-2M-premounted-carts-hifi-news-april-2023-feat-1024x576.jpg

I've googled but I don't see hide nor hair of the aforementioned new cartridges? Link or I'm a non believer.

“We do not recommend use spacers for aligning of 2M Black & MC Quintet Black cartridges on the Rega tonearm. Both cartridges use Nude Shibata diamond, that is very sensitive for the correct VTA adjustment, which can hardly be obtained using spacers”
I have a vague memory of having read this some time ago, however, Ortofon appear to have changed their tune on the subject.

From Ortofon 'FAQ & Installation' (https://www.ortofon.com/support/support-hifi/faq-installation/)

2.4.1. Compatibility with Rega brand TT/TA:
The Rega tonearms are installed for the height of the Rega cartridges, these cartridges’ height from stylus tip to the top of the cartridge mounting surface is lower than standard. Since it is vital to ensure that the cartridge base is parallel with the tonearm and the tonearm is parallel with the record surface, you will need spacers to ensure the correct setup of your Ortofon cartridge.​
The OM series, the 2M series and the Cadenza series needs the tonearm to be raised 4 mm and the Quintet series need the tonearm to be raised by 5,2 mm.​
We do not offer spacers for the Rega tonearms.​
Rega offers the following options:​
Both will raise the arm by 2 mm. If using this set, we recommend raising the tonearm 4 mm when using The OM series, the 2M series, and the Cadenza series and 6 mm when using the Quintet series.​
Acoustic signature offers the following option:​
These spacers raise the tonearm in 0,5 mm increments. If using this set, we recommend raising the tonearm 4 mm when using The OM series, the 2M series, and the Cadenza series and 5 mm when using the Quintet series.​

WRT the above, if we take as example Ortofon's recommendation of raising the tonearm by 4mm when using OM series, 2M series, and Cadenza series, plugging this 4mm change in height along with Rega's published effective length of 236.5mm into 'our' angular difference of change in radians formula returns an increase in VTA/SRA of 0.82 degrees, something that a cutter head manufacturer like Ortofon should recognized as being somewhat less than worth bothering with. This, especially so, when they used to produce both 15 and 20 degree cutter heads. Do they recommend removing the spacer(s) should one be playing records that were cut with one of their 15 degree heads? Note the last sentence within Ortofon's 'Sterero Cutterhead Type DSS 661' flyer (below).

cutterhead.jpg

OR Technics recommendation of raising the tonearm

Shibata or any other line contact profiles also very sensitive to Azimuth, Fixed geometry arms very difficult unless you use shims at the headshell

so, when they used to produce both 15 and 20 degree cutter heads. Do they recommend removing the spacer(s) should one be playing records that were cut with one of their 15 degree heads?

They recommend records cut with ortofon cutting heads are replayed with one of there 500,000 cartridges produced each year without the need for spacers or shims

blob

Would be interested to see what this would look like with one of those VTA block thingies. I've mounted a Nagaoka MP200 on a P3 at one point(lovely combo) and it didn't require near the amount of shimming that the numbers suggested.

Would definitely be handy if they sit perfectly level on a Rega table.

If anyone has heard an Ortofon Bronze or black on a Rega would be curious to know the impression, always wondered if it would be too much of a good thing.

It would be really good if Ortofon do create a range of Rega dedicated carts - they'll sell very well I'm sure!

I'm using an Ortofon 2M Black on my Rega RP6, initially without spacers and was plagued by average sound and heightened / exaggerated surface noise, and in a last chance saloon for the 2MB I emailed Ortofon directly for advice. They replied stating that the 2M Black specifically (their other 2M carts less so), was particularly sensitive to VTA set up and that a very minimum of a 3mm spacer is recommended for a Rega turntable, and optimally 4mm spacers. But, depending on the TT in question the lid may not close properly with 4mm shims, potentially catching on the counter weight. Spacers duly ordered, fitted, lid permanently removed, and the difference was not subtle. I now understand the plaudits for the 2MB. Its sound signature may not be to everyone's taste, but it's a very neutral and dynamic performer, with excellent bass control.

I truly admire and like Rega turntables, in fact they are one of my very favourite UK manufacturers, but I do think there is room for further debate and experimentation around the possibility of VTA being introduced down the line. For the next cart though, I'll probably keep it simple and just stay in the Rega camp and buy an Ania Pro. Life's too short for shims!

The mad thing is that the only reason the lid fouls the arm is because Rega changed things. They added the braces which lifted the arm and platter a couple of mm, they made the counterweights taller but they kept the lid the same height. If you can source an original RB300 tungsten weight, problem solved.

I do think some carts are more sensitive to VTA than Rega suggest but I don't think it's hyper critical either. I've tried shims on Rega decks and I think the effect is slight, about the same as altering the tracking weight a little.

I wouldn't call the effect of a little alteration of tracking weight 'slight'. The difference between a properly dialled-in cart and one that's 'near enough' isn't subtle and can be the difference between 'meh' and 'now I see what the fuss is about'. And 'dialled in' means tracking weight, alignment and VTA. All of which make an audible difference, IME.

advertisement

Back