advertisement

New Lucinda Williams

abbott

pfm Member
Been listening to this on NPR and very impressed, some great tracks and think it will be a grower, don't be put off by the slow downbeat title 1st track though even this seems beautiful after a few listens to acclimatise. Some corking guitar breaks on some of the tracks

The two tracks on Spotify sound like classic Lucinda to me. Any idea if Doug Pettibone is on the album?

Pettibone contributes, among many others, according to this:

[Greg Leisz] plays guitar throughout as well as co-producing and Lucinda regards him as the glue that holds the sessions together.

Greg isn’t the only guitarist and guitars feature a lot with Val McCallum and Stuart Mathis, who share Jakob Dylan’s Wallflowers on their CVs, joining Doug Pettibone, Tony Joe White, Bill Frisell and Jonathan Wilson in electrifying this album with some serious finger-lickin’-fret-board-finesse.

Can anyone say who is playing the achingly beautiful guitar on this track, seems to be either Bo Ramsey or Charlie Sexton.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone' is the debut album on Lucinda's Highway 20 label and is among the best of her career.

She is now 61 and some of the songs capture her in a wise and reflective mood. Others such as Cold Night In Hell find her in a spiky mood.

Lucinda's voice is choked with the dust of aging and the double-album finishes with a cover of JJ Cale's 'Magnolia,' which features the cool interplay of two reverbed guitars.

I've seen Lucinda perform in Las Vegas and London and would definitely so to another gig.

Jack

I thought the Beck album Morning Phase was going to be my album of the year but this Lucinda Williams could be the one... Fantastic.

There are some people that are the real deal, and so they just get better and better with maturity. LW is one of them. I've neglected to play her over the past few years, so it's time to catch up again I think. Nice reminder, thanks.

I thought the Beck album Morning Phase was going to be my album of the year but this Lucinda Williams could be the one... Fantastic.

Or maybe Len Cohen, or War on Drugs. Am thinking Mr Cohen may just edge it.

There are some people that are the real deal, and so they just get better and better with maturity. LW is one of them. I've neglected to play her over the past few years, so it's time to catch up again I think. Nice reminder, thanks.

Kind of like whisky or fine wine. It seems bands just don't have the longevity of solo performers.

advertisement

Back