advertisement

(new, but not the newest) Exposure sound

Oh...as to the latest Expo amps - I had a 3010 for a while, really didn't like it. An older Super XV was loads better. However, since Tony Brady (ex-Onix) took the helm at Exposure it seems like their gear has regained a certain amount of the old magic.[/QUOTE]

It was actually Tony Brady that designed the 3010.

Just read a review of your speakers on Stereophile.com. The reviewer liked the Snells but complained of the excessively "forward" treble. So perhaps before spending hundreds of whatevers on amps, PSUs etc., it might be worth trying some very cheap and reversible mods on the crossover, to try and tailor the sound to your tastes.
You could take out the tweeter and ad, say, a 2.2 Ohm resistor by cutting the positive wire and soldering in the resistor. This should reduce the tweeter output by about 2db and increase the woofer's. This is the simplest and crudest way.
The theoretically ideal way is to insert an "L-pad" of 2 resistors. For example 1.8 Ohms in series on the positive wire, and 27Ohms in parallel, i.e. connective negative to positive. This would keep the existing balance in the crossover. However, I've found that the crude, simple way can work very well. Remember that there is nothing "sacred" about a loudspeaker design, and the above takes about 5 minutes (plus a trip to an electronics store to buy the resistors, which should be rated about 10 watts)
Its actually quite fun, because with some trial and error you can obtain exactly the results you want. Certainly more fun than forking out cash for another piece of kit which might better satisfy one aspect of your taste, but perhaps leave you missing something you liked in the old equipment. But perhaps this is not the right forum for these suggestions. Try and post on the DIY and tweaking forum

In my room, the Snells are excellent. I'd change electronics to suit them before changing them.

Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Snells are thermionic-friendly aren't they? Maybe you'd be happy with something that glows, like a Primaluna integrated amp?

Even simple diy is beyond me right now, Paul (for lack of opportunity rather than interest). I'm curious, though, about how the mods you describe would differ from adjusting the tweeter level control. As I mentioned, I've dialed this back -- from 12 o'clock, which is marked "optimal," to 9 o'clock. Further than that, the treble sounds muted.

I think you're right, Yank. Funny that the least expensive speakers I've owned in a long time made me understand "speakers first." Love to try a PrimaLuna, but valves aren't an option right now.

Really? Tony wasn't at Exposure when the 3010 came out because I got mine from the factory.

Tony first mader the 2010 series, then the very good Classic line up and followed by the 3010. Later the 2010’s and the 3010’s were “supp’ed up” and an S was added after the model numbers. I first met Tony in the Bristol hifi show, years ago when he was introducing and demming the 3010 amp and matching CD player.
Nice bloke.

Tony first mader the 2010 series, then the very good Classic line up and followed by the 3010. Later the 2010’s and the 3010’s were “supp’ed up” and an S was added after the model numbers. I first met Tony in the Bristol hifi show, years ago when he was introducing and demming the 3010 amp and matching CD player.
Nice bloke.

Tony didn't exactly invent the Classic series; they are his modifications of Farlowe stuff. So the 23 is really a nice updated version of a 21, for example. I forget the lineage with the power amps, but its still rooted in the earlier designs.

Yep. 23 and 28 are very nice amps indeed. If anyone's interested, I've got 23 pre and 28 power available after upgrading to MCX pre. Pls send pm if interested :).

Canonman - what did you prefer in the 2010 over the 3010 model?
For me, more involving, great timing and it just sounded "right" Never really found that with the 3010. I used it with LS3/5a's and a 2010 CD player. The set up just worked so well for me at silly low prices.

Yep. 23 and 28 are very nice amps indeed. If anyone's interested, I've got 23 pre and 28 power available after upgrading to MCX pre. Pls send pm if interested :).

How are you getting on with the MCX? Would be interested in hearing how they differ from the classic series.
There’s not much written up about the MCX on the Net, that I can find. But I was very eager to have a listen to the set up after Tony mailed me and said that the first small batch is finally in production. Unfortunately they only had a dummy set up at the hifi show over here, and then the German distributors didn’t or wouldn’t import them.
Apparently it’s supposed to be a well wicked set up.
Cheers, Kanwar.

Kanwar
Don't know if you are based in the UK, but if you want to hear the MCX, come round for a listen. I run it with 4 x mono XVIs. I thinks it's by far the best pre to ever be part of the Exposure brand name.

Received the TeddyCap today and it's up and running. First impressions (listening to PJ Harvey, Let England Shake) are very, very good. Meaningless, of course. I'll have to live with it for a few weeks to decide (especially about the fatigue issue). But I'm struck now by more detail and what seems like a more relaxed presentation. Thanks again to all.

Kanwar
Don't know if you are based in the UK, but if you want to hear the MCX, come round for a listen. I run it with 4 x mono XVIs. I thinks it's by far the best pre to ever be part of the Exposure brand name.

Thanks very much Theo, but I live in Germany. I occasionally get over to London to catch up with friends and family. Where abouts are you?

How are you getting on with the MCX? Would be interested in hearing how they differ from the classic series.
There’s not much written up about the MCX on the Net, that I can find. But I was very eager to have a listen to the set up after Tony mailed me and said that the first small batch is finally in production. Unfortunately they only had a dummy set up at the hifi show over here, and then the German distributors didn’t or wouldn’t import them.
Apparently it’s supposed to be a well wicked set up.
Cheers, Kanwar.
I love it, as I loved my 23 too when it was in my system. MCX pre IMO has the signature Exposure sound but it's better in every aspect you could imagine compared to 23 pre. Now running it in my setup with MCX cd and 28 power. Will most likely upgrade to 3010s2 monos but someone needs to buy my 23/28 amps first :).

advertisement

Back