advertisement

(new, but not the newest) Exposure sound

Afranta

pfm Member
I'm mostly happy with my Naim CD5X and Nait 5i (into Snell Type K/II). But on those odd occasions when I have a solid hour or two to listen to music, I find the sound tiring. The Naim route to a less aggressive sound, I've been told, is (1) swap the 5i for XS (2) power supplies. Neither appeals -- too pricey. I've had the chance to listen to the Rega Apollo/Mira, but that seemed to go too far in the opposite direction for me. How about Exposure? I'm especially curious about the original 2010/3010 series, as they seem to be a bargain s/h, but I have no experience of them and no chance to audition (hifi desert).

I have found the sweetest Naim is the old Chrome Bumper and Bolt Down stuff, I listen for hours and I never tire of it.

The older Exposure was very good but there are a couple of experts on that who may be along.

I have -- Quad 11L and Dynaudio X12 before the Snells. In my room, the Snells are excellent. I'd change electronics to suit them before changing them.

The sound was forward with the previous speakers, too. I do like the Naim presentation (if that's in fact what I'm describing), but just feel that sometimes it's too much of a good thing. Does that make sense?

I recently had the chance to hear a pair of very nice K's on the end of my Claymore - I was very impressed with them, but I'm not 100% sure they'd make me want to change my Royds for them. However, hearing those same K's, on the same day, powered by an Audio Innovations valve amp, they sounded slimply wonderful - a speaker/amp synergy which was so obviously correct.

So...

1. Do your Snells work well in your room? If so, then look at getting a different amp to drive them. Remember, the speaker/room interface is surely the most important aspect here - and the one, from my own experiences over the years, which is most difficult to get right. Once it's working, it's best not to fiddle with that interface! :)

2. If they don't gel with the room, look at changing (or certainly trying to borrow) a few sets of speakers to work with your Nait.

Good luck. :)

Oh...as to the latest Expo amps - I had a 3010 for a while, really didn't like it. An older Super XV was loads better. However, since Tony Brady (ex-Onix) took the helm at Exposure it seems like their gear has regained a certain amount of the old magic.

i have XXV (the last farlowe integrated) and friend's AN-J in the attic so i took an opportunity in my room - apart from usual AN problems (coloration, bass character), it's a superb combination. i was actually very surprised with the synergy i didn't expect there, XXV is musical enough for AN and it gave liveliness ANs really need from the amp. i actually think it's more sensible combination than tube amps less good than meishu.

The Snells work really well in my room, I think. They're at least far superior to anything else I've tried. The room itself is difficult -- speakers must be on a console rather than proper stands and can't be more than 12 inches from the back wall -- and the Snells have convinced me of the importance of finding speakers that work in the room. I'm not going to fiddle with them!

Domestic circumstances make valves a no-go (little kids and TV sound via the stereo). I'd love to try a XV or XXV (the latter has a remote, I think?), but they're few and far between in the states. What didn't you like about the 3010, Gromit? I'm particularly curious about the 3010 series b/c I have the chance at a good deal on both the integrated and the cd player. Since my only real option is "buy it to try it," the deal is important ...

Hi Afranta - to try and answer your question re the 3010, it just sounded laboured, slow and for want of a better description 'bland'. Sure it had loads of power - stacks of it in fact - but it seemed to sound as though its musical brakes were binding.

Getting hold of a Super XV restored the life and joy of my system.

Sure, the 2010/3010 can be picked up very cheaply, but surely one might want to ask why that's the case?

How about something like a Sugden A21? Class A, relatively low power - but your K's are very efficient - and has a real sense of dynamism with the right speaker, surprisingly so. :)

Why not try a Naim FC2x on your CD5x? That's surely one of the cheapest ways forward? If it doesn't suit, sell it on.....

Jay

Thanks, Gromit. Your description of the 3010 is illuminating (and not at all encouraging). And, yes, a bargain that disappoints is no bargain. Sugden is interesting (as is Densen, going back to spur07's post), but, given that I'm largely happy with what I have, Jay's suggestion of a Flatcap is perhaps the most sensible place to start.

A sports-talk radio blowhard I often listen to in the car when I'm driving to work cautions against "trying to be happier than happy." Maybe that's what I'm trying to do. Thanks to all for the very helpful, and timely, advice.

Best,
Andy

A sports-talk radio blowhard I often listen to in the car when I'm driving to work cautions against "trying to be happier than happy."

Sage words Andy - and something I really ought to take notice of myself at times I think! :D

Hope you get sorted ok - adding extra beef to the power supply is never a bad thing, and in my experience of Naim equipment has a way of smoothing-out the presentation and opening up the sound.

i think the factory has started to sell refurbished old expo integrateds. there was recently a XXV on ebay sold by the factory so i would drop them an email with inquiry.

The 2010 series has to be the bargain of the decade. I prefer them to the 3010. Why are they cheap? Well, they were never expensive new as most of the build is in Malaysia.

Cracking pieces of kit for the money and they are well designed so don't need extra power supplies...Won awards and deservedly too.

A used TeddyCap came up for sale yesterday afternoon at an attractive price, so I snapped it up. Should have it within the week. If it smooths out the presentation and opens up the sound, I'll be very pleased.

You could try adjusting the crossover on your speakers. Perhaps adding an Ohm or 2 of resistance to the tweeter might mellow things out a bit. I've found this often works well. As an experiment try taping a piece of thick cloth over the tweeters, just to see if it is the high frequencies that are tiring to listen to. Bear in mind that the High-Low balance of a commercial speaker is always a compromise, there is no "perfection" built-in by the maker.

Interesting that you mention that, Paul. The Snell K/II actually has an adjustable crossover, which I've dialed back. It does help a bit.

What speaker cable do you use ?

I have experienced the Chord Epic or the older Linn K20/Naim A4 to smooth quite a bit out especially the K20/A4, maybe partnered with Cobra/Linn Black between amp/CD

Worth a try as the Linn cabling is cheap, even available as Cable Talk or Deco.

I would rate a Naim 5i above the Exposure 2010, even the IMO better XV I'd take a 5i or some olive/CB 140/110/62 or alike.

If still too forward you might consider some Spendor SA1 these can be quite magic, close to wall and easy to run.

Another option is to replace the CD5 to more soft sounding Ikemi or rega players

I'm using Chord Odyssey 2. I considered swapping the CD5X for a Rega DAC. But I'm now very curious to hear whether the external ps makes a difference.

I can't recall which tweeter the K uses, but if it's a polyamide dome Vifa, then you'll get a smoother top end by swapping it for some later fabric dome Vifa's.

The polyamide domes are a smooth plastic.

advertisement

Back