advertisement

New budget Naim.

With supposedly more than 20+ pre orders is this amplifier for those with more money than sense
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ces-2014-electronics-amplifiers/

Have you heard it?

Thought not.

If people who can afford $200k on an amp are stupid, I wouldn't mind being stupid.

Instead of pouring piss on naim from a position of total ignorance, how about congratulating them on a magnificent achievement - a couple of million dollars worth of preorders is a great result. Let's hope it's only the beginning.

I am stupid and I don't have $200k for an amp - how about that !

If I win the lotteri money will not go statement

I wish them luck anyway, they got a bag of French Money and this is some of its outcome

Have you heard it?

Thought not.

If people who can afford $200k on an amp are stupid, I wouldn't mind being stupid.

Instead of pouring piss on naim from a position of total ignorance, how about congratulating them on a magnificent achievement - a couple of million dollars worth of preorders is a great result. Let's hope it's only the beginning.
Is it possible to 'hear' an amplifier?

Paul R,

you are correct to double the loudness from your speaker requires 10 times the power.

So if your amp is pratting along at 70 w and the drummer strikes the bass drum hard your 150 w amp will clip quite spectacularly. Whereas the 700 w amp will deal with it.

I have a pair of EAR 529 which when tested in a review were 756 w from 5 pairs of PL 509/519 valves. usually a pair of PL 509/519 will produce 150 w so getting 750 from 5 pairs means they are strolling in the park.

There are quite a few 1000 w amps out there today.

David

Can we put this into some perspective?

Let's take a typical modern loudspeaker with a voltage sensitivity of 89db/w

If you sit at the typical 2m this will produce 83db/w but that's in an anechoic chamber. In a typical living room that will be around 87db for the input of one watt.

The maximum typical dynamic range on recordings as highlighted by the DB data base is circa 15db.

That would give peaks of 102db at the listening position and require 32 watts.

I you want peaks of 114db you will indeed need 500 watts and IME some form of ear defenders or a good audiologist :D

The truth is, you will need either very inefficient (usually poorly designed) loudspeakers or a huge listening room to need anything approaching a kilowatt of power. But some people, those with more money than sense, often have both of those IME :D

advertisement

Back