advertisement

New Boiler quote woes

onlyconnect

pfm Member
After 16 indifferent years time has come to replace our combi boiler.

Quote A is from independent plumber for a Baxi at about £1800 (all prices include fitting etc).

Quote B is yet to come in but guy says Baxi is rubbish and Worcester Bosch is bees knees.

Quote C is British Gas, also Baxi, and just under £4000. To be fair the BG guy did more work than the other two eg calculated the heat loss of the house. He also says boiler will have to be moved as a condensing boiler has to be on the inside of an outside wall. Currently it is in the garage opposite an outside wall. He says existing position breaches regs.

A & B seem to have no problem with the siting.

Aarrgghh!

Tim

BG are brigands. Your quote is the same as mine -15 years ago! ie. £4000 for a condensing combi. Got an excellent company to do it for less than half. It's a Worcester Bosch and it's only had one fault in all that time- repaired for £200 thus saving £1300 on BG cover.
Don't be suckered by them.

Get a Valliant quote from an independent Valliant installer. All plumbers have their favoured boilers. get what you want, not what they want to fit.

If they are Gas Safe registered engineers, they all should be following the same regs. There are one or two gas engineers on here who will probably be able to advise you better on the regs and what's possible. I believe it's better/easier to have a condensing boiler on an outside wall BUT there are ways of dealing with the issues of an internal installation as its not always possible to fit to an exterior wall. But it's important that it's fitted correctly as the condensing element of its operation depends on it. And even if the BG quote includes re-siting the boiler, at an additional £2200, it seems steep. A decent, trusted independent fitter should be much cheaper. Maybe try Checkatrade.com for local engineers who meet current regulation standards.

I'd agree Worcester Bosch are well regarded in the industry as is Valliant. Most engineers will have their favourite makes that they have had positive experiences with. If you're staying in the property, I'd be inclined to get a better/recognised as reliable boiler. If you're selling up, I'd be inclined to fit the best you can for the cheapest money.

Yep, eye watering prices from BG and some others. Our combi went tits up again only 3 weeks ago, I'd fitted a new PCB the year before last and a fan last winter, time to give up.

Luckily OH has a contact in work who's OH works for Baxi, he got us a Potterton Promax (made by Baxi)for £450 and the car forum I'm on as per usual came to the rescue too where a Gas safe fellow petrolhead offered to fit and commission for £200.

So £650 all in. At full up prices I think I could have got way inside £1000.

As an aside we fitted a Valiant in another property we're just selling last year.

Both boilers seem great to me.

When we moved to our present house ten years ago we had a Vaillant fitted. It lasted just three years and needed at least eight parts replaced in that time including two diverter valves. It went to the skip and we replaced it with a Worcester which had worked flawlessly and has also reduced our gas bill.

To echo Kenny's post, we did something similar and bought a boiler for £622 inc vat from a local supplier and had a local Gas Safe engineer fit it for £250 plus a few bits like some pipe etc. so it came in at circa £950-£1000 all in.

onlyconnect - where abouts in the country are you? Maybe a lil' fish is close by and could recommend someone??

Nothing wrong with Baxi.

I've had one installed for 7 years and it's only just gone wrong.

New pump needed.

When we moved to our present house ten years ago we had a Vaillant fitted. It lasted just three years and needed at least eight parts replaced in that time including two diverter valves. It went to the skip and we replaced it with a Worcester which had worked flawlessly and has also reduced our gas bill.

That means nothing. You didn't know the service history of the boiler or even maybe how old it was or had been used/treated.

Just been looking in to the same myself and everyone I have spoken to has been very positive about the Worcester Bosch range.

Vaillant or Viessman, the best, we asked an independent local plumber what he has in his house, he said Valiant so we went for that.

That BG quote in the OP is a rip!

We had a new Worcester condensing boiler (oil-fired) fitted earlier this year - came in more like £1500.

I'd agree Worcester Bosch are well regarded in the industry as is Valliant.

Had to do my office building boiler last year and went through the same thing. Lots of advice at the time and Worcester Bosch or Valiant are the only ones to put your hard earned money into.
£1500 - £1800 sounds about right.
The siting problem may be legit.

Save gas with a combi but have to replace it every ten years or so.

No thanks!

I'll stick with the Potterton Flamingo system boiler and copper tank from the 80s that two local Gas Safe plumbers who have serviced it in the last few years (for about £70) have confirmed that it will outlive any brand new combi fitted in its place. We also get a nice airing cupboard and it runs silently.

My monthly combined gas and electricity bill is £110.

advertisement

Back