advertisement

Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Interesting, have you been listening to the CD much?

I will maybe listen to the vinyl again tomorrow - but it's not got me hooked yet, shame.

Interesting, have you been listening to the CD much?

I will maybe listen to the vinyl again tomorrow - but it's not got me hooked yet, shame.

I've listened to it enough to become somewhat familiar with the songs, but usually from the other room, so I haven't sat down and given it my undivided attention yet. After all of Young's recent rants about sound quality, I'm not particularly thrilled by the sound of Psychedelic Pill, but I do like the songs okay.

A bit odd that there is no digital copy with the vinyl given the normal retail price - we can't complain because we all paid £18 :)

Played my copy last night and maybe I have a poor pressing but struggling to take his recent comments about sq too seriously

That's how I feel - be interesting to hear what others think about this release, lets try not to colour their opinions too much early on.

BTW, here's a waveform of "Driftin' Back", surprisingly it's not smashed:

245ezpw.jpg

It's not very dynamic, either...

Well I've just stuck the vinyl on and played the first record, right off the bat this is some of the best work he's done in a very long time and Crazy Horse are on fire.

As for the sound, my first impression is it's excellent and exactly what he intended, I'll do a full write up when I've heard it all.

Don't forget Crazy Horse are very grungy but if you follow the vocal and lead guitar they are crystal clear against a messy backdrop.

I love it.

I'm just giving it a second listen - I'm warming a little.

One real 'stinker' so far (which I doubt repeated listens will ever improve) side 3 track one - Psychedelic Pill Alternate Mix - just awful awful, what was he thinking signing that one off, sorry !

Just got this today - vinyl version - and have been listening to it.
Like the music, but cant get over the sound. Everything sounds a bit mudddy except for his vocals.
So assume it must be the mix...anyone else found the sound a bit muddy on vinyl?
Does the CD sound any different?

Glad to hear! Thought my ears or cartridge were due for a refurb..

EXACTLY how I felt - I honestly thought my cartridge was shot.

I put the album in the naughty corner and didn't want to listen to it again after I first played it.

I'll give it a few more spins - but this one may be going the way of the classifieds.

I was surprised by the grunginess of this recording, after hearing the "Cortez The Killer" jam that was posted on Neil Young's web site earlier this year, before the announcement of the "Americana" album.

Speaking of "Americana", I don't have that one yet, how does it sound? I figured that, due to the novelty nature of the material, it'd be an album I'd only listen to once or twice and then file away.

Finally got mine today, picked up from post office on the way home. Yes it sounds a bit grungy but in a way that seems right for the music. Not sure I'd have been prepared to pay the 'proper' price though!

It is right for the music, I think it sounds great, reminds me of Zuma, Rust and Ragged Glory.

advertisement

Back