advertisement

Negotiating Price with Dealers?

Here’s what you could do.

1) Compile a list of every dealer in the UK that deals with what you want.

2) Write up an email which includes your location and exactly what you want and, ask for their best price. Copy and paste the email and send to every dealer nationwide.

3) Wait for the offers to come in. It’s likely the dealers furthest from you will offer the lowest price as they know their offer will be up against dealers closer to you and of course, they want to do a deal.

Once you have your dealer offers, just decide what works with you.

If that's a straight sale over the phone or by email that equates to £160 for about 10 or 15 mins 'work', not bad by all accounts.
Maybe so, but only if the dealer is doing such deals continuously. What is earned on such a deal has to cover the time when admin is being done. Tax returns, dealing with distributors, tyre kickers or those times when customers are short on the ground etc, etc all take time and that time is not generating income. That’s before considering cost of premises and staff.

Obviously a hobbyist dealer, working from home and not dependant on the income to live has more scope for undercutting the market and some of them have a reputation for threatening the more established dealers, whom we will doubtless miss when they are gone and the hobbyist dealer moves on to a new hobby.

When it comes to doing a deal there is often a range of flexibility, both for buyer and seller, and if those ranges overlap then business can be done and a good working relationship developed. If the ranges don’t overlap then no deal.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of kit over the years. My approach is to always ask what the best price could be when buying from a dealer or private seller. Then it’s up to them to offer what they think is reasonable and you can decide if it’s reasonable to you.

Higher end dealers I know have made good money in recent years (Covid etc) and the clientele are generally older with more disposable income buying what are now generally expensive luxury items. This model will probably still exist but in a very niche, even smaller way.

The more mass - market dealers will probably move to an on-line only presence and I think more manufacturers will sell direct.

2) Write up an email which includes your location and exactly what you want and, ask for their best price. Copy and paste the email and send to every dealer nationwide.

3) Wait for the offers to come in. It’s likely the dealers furthest from you will offer the lowest price as they know their offer will be up against dealers closer to you and of course, they want to do a deal.

Carwow equivalent for hifi online bidding website thingy. Compile a list video reviews of equipment with measurements to back it up . Followed by a subjective review and ratings. Allow users to submit their reviews 🤔💡
Of course I'm not down playing the importance of a dealer here. As we all.know it's not that simple this hifi game .

Last edited:
Carwow equivalent for hifi online bidding website thingy. Compile a list video reviews of equipment with measurements to back it up . Followed by a subjective review and ratings. Allow users to submit their reviews 🤔💡
Of course I'm not down playing the importance of a dealer here. As we all.know it's not that simple this hifi game .
I guess it is a bit like that and come to think of it, using Carwow saved me a fortune when we was ordering a brand new car a couple of years back. Had to travel to pick it up but was more than worth it👍

If I was a dealer willing to cut you a deal, I won't do it via email. What's to stop you from taking my best offer to the second best dealer and ask, "can you better this"?

If I was a dealer willing to cut you a deal, I won't do it via email. What's to stop you from taking my best offer to the second best dealer and ask, "can you better this"?
If I was a dealer and a customer said, well so and so can do it for this price, I’d probably tell the customer to do one too.

If I was a dealer and a customer said, well so and so can do it for this price, I’d probably tell the customer to do one too.
Actually, that’s quite hypocritical of me because I did ask a dealer a few years back if they’d match a price I’d seen online, and they did but, they had given me a dem at which point I wasn’t too sure if it was what I wanted so didn’t buy it at that point. I then saw a cheaper price online and thought, they’d taken the time to give me a dem and at the price I saw it for thought, so why not give them the chance to match it. They didn’t deal with what I actually wanted so If they’d said no (which I would have happily said fair enough) then to be honest, I would have bought something else i’d preferred but, to be honest, was a fair chunk more if that makes sense.

Thing is, people are different, my mate is a car nut. He never negotiates and just pays the asking price, I think he enjoys the simplicity and gets a kick out of it. I on the other hand always negotiate, sometimes I enjoy it sometimes it irritates me and I wish I didn’t do it.
What I never do is that thing where you try on running shoes or listen to audio equipment then go and buy it cheaper on line. Again I guess some people get a kick out of it, to me it feels grubby.

Last edited:
When I was a young 'un, my father taught me how to haggle/negotiate. One of his rules is, if you make an offer that the seller accepts, you are obliged to complete the deal. There's no walking away or re-negotiating.

Then go to your nearest dealer and tell him what you can get it for. Somewhat mercenary.

My 2 pence worth…

I think a lot depends on what you are wanting from the ‘dealer’. If you a just buying a product and not looking for any kind of service, I think expecting for a discount is fine, they are not really going to any effort to simply sell you a box. Fully appreciate the margins point, but surely there is a big difference in workload in simply buying a product vs asking for demo.

However if you are asking a for service, such as demonstration and advice then I don’t think you should expect a discount, no harm if you want to ask, but certainly don’t expect the same discount, or even any discount, as if you were just buying a box. However I think there is value of goods point here. If buying something for £1k and you’ve had advice/demo then I wouldn’t expect discount, but if I was buying £10k then I would expect a bit of something. You are paying for time, expertise and facilities. One of the things i really value in a dealer is part exchange, good value part ex - not low ball. I’ve come to value service much more as I have gotten older.

I completely disagree with getting a demo/advice and then going off to buy it cheaper elsewhere.

“Yes, I’ll throw in a set of carpet mats, car polish and a magic tree air freshener”. I naively asked how much the dealer would knock off when I paid cash for a very low mileage demonstrator and he said “nothing, our prices are very low already”. This was July 2020 when dealerships had just tentatively reopened for the first time during Covid and indeed the price was remarkably low presumably due to cash flow needs. Similar cars, same age, much higher mileage were 25% dearer a year later as shortages bit.

“Yes, I’ll throw in a set of carpet mats, car polish and a magic tree air freshener”. I naively asked how much the dealer would knock off when I paid cash for a very low mileage demonstrator and he said “nothing, our prices are very low already”. This was July 2020 when dealerships had just tentatively reopened for the first time during Covid and indeed the price was remarkably low presumably due to cash flow needs. Similar cars, same age, much higher mileage were 25% dearer a year later as shortages bit.
We bought ours brand new in May 2020, we paid cash (effectively) and got it cheaper then their demonstrator but, we had to wait 4-months for delivery. The same dealer reached out 6-months after delivery offering us more then we paid for it as used car prices where sky rocketing. The deal was to order another new one at the price we paid but, that would have meant a 6-month wait for delivery. I declined

I’ve experienced helpful dealers who might not discount what you are buying that they will give you a generous offer for what you are part exchanging. Amounts to the same net outlay for the buyer but presumably makes a difference to the seller in terms of sales turnover.

advertisement

Back