advertisement

Negotiating Price with Dealers?

Same old same old disagreements. If a dealer doesn't favour your offer they won't sell to you, if they do, they will. These folk are not daft for goodness sake.

We were always advised to give cables away rather than cash as that obviously reduced the discount given by us but 10% in value on accessories was still perceived as 10% by the customer.

I was a retailer for thirty years and every goon on the planet reckons they know what your margin is and their estimate is always far more than it actually is.
They also completely forget that you have overheads.
I frequently offered deals to customers, who had been good enough to support me over a period of time and I also turned down a lot of business from chiselers I would never have seen again.
Often however there is some reasonable middle ground to be found. Be polite, be reasonable. It will soon become obvious where the bump stops are.
Absolutely. The rent, wages, management and franchise fees especially as part of chain were pretty steep. Also the internet was starting to become a big factor as well at the time. One of the reaons the store I worked at is no longer there I expect along with other half of them!

I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been suggested already. Best chance of getting a discount would be to see if you can find another dealer selling the same product cheaper (it would have to be a permanent price most likely not just a sale), then you may be able to get the dealer you want to buy from to price match. I managed to do that with my current speakers buying from Audio T. Got £125 off which was just under 7%.

I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been suggested already. Best chance of getting a discount would be to see if you can find another dealer selling the same product cheaper (it would have to be a permanent price most likely not just a sale), then you may be able to get the dealer you want to buy from to price match. I managed to do that with my current speakers buying from Audio T. Got £125 off which was just under 7%.

Nothing wrong with this Firstly it alerts the preferred dealer to the fact that there are deals out there on that product and secondly it's just plain a good deed. After all, you could have just bought it from the discounting dealer. I would always thank customers for coming to me with a price match offer.
Although.. Some people did make them up and when challenged could never quite remember where they had seen that silly deal. 😂😂😂

Fancy having you as a customer Gary. I think I'd top myself. 😂😂😂
I'll never forget the time when I went to buy a "Boombox" with my Father. I was quite young so obviously I let him do the talking in the shops. He used to always say to them "will you do a discount for cash?", most said no but finally when he found a shop that said yes, he promptly took out his chequebook and started writing it out. The salesman started to complain that a cheque wasn't cash but my Father was having none of it and we bought the boombox.

Another time we were shopping for something (I can't recall what) and his technique was to say.. "a shop down the road do it at Y price". He didn't have any luck with that angle unfortunately, one of the shops even asked "which shop?" when my father (picking randomly) named a shop down the street the response was "I don't think so, we own that shop too" :D

Nothing at all wrong with asking for a discount, bartering or negotiating a deal especially on a high value item, it's maybe not appropriate at Tescos but I'm sure there's none of us including the various hifi dealers wouldn't have a go if buying a car or motorbike whether new or secondhand.

Nothing at all wrong with asking for a discount, bartering or negotiating a deal especially on a high value item, it's maybe not appropriate at Tescos but I'm sure there's none of us including the various hifi dealers wouldn't have a go if buying a car or motorbike whether new or secondhand.
Also, many online dealers even those with bricks and mortar shops will automatically have 5% discount available just by quick search for discount code online, sometimes even 10%.

Is this common or do they tend to not budge from RRP? Talking stuff in the £2-7k range.

Got my eye on some speakers I was hoping were going to pop up second hand but seems unlikely they will, but hesitant to pay full asking on account of being a tight bastard.

Any advice gladly welcome, thanks very much
Asking for an "open box" deal can generate decent discounts.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back