advertisement

Need phone line for broadband but want to block use of phone....

JTC

PFM Villager...
We’re doing up a flat which we’re going to use as a furnished holiday let. Along with all the other trappings, we’ve been strongly advised to include broadband and a wifi router, as most guests these days expect to remain ‘connected’ whilst on holiday. Fine by me.

However, in our area the only choice is something landline-based, for which we’ve found a few options and all seems good.

Except for one thing: as getting broadband will require having an active phone line, and since this could be abused by less considerate guests, I want to be able to block outgoing calls. Oddly enough, though you’d think this would be straightforward, I’m told by my preferred supplier (Plusnet) that it’s not possible.

So, is there a physical way I can prevent outgoing calls? Beyond not having a phone in the flat - which is fine until someone craftily spots the opportunity to buy a cheap one and connect it to make 2 hour calls to Outer Whereveria….

My thoughts so far are limited to somehow boxing in the master phone socket and running a cable from the router only, and asking the kind folks of PFM for their ideas….

Ta.

In Tel Aviv I have a similar situation (and yes, you'll never rent it out without an internet connection). I just called the landline provider and they de-activated normal telephone traffic. It was quite straightforward.

Failing that, you could remove or "blank out" any plugs where your tenants could plug a telephone in. I suppose if they were really determined and ingenious they could open up the wall fittings and connect up the wires directly.

Would hanging onto a customer's cred card details used at booking time and then making additional charges if anything untoward shows up on internet or phone bill during the period of their stay help?

It might but some guests would pay by bank transfer. I'd rather just neutralise this risk at the outset, rather than have to chase for payment later....

Most rentals have a locked cupboard with cleaning stuff or personal stuff in it. Just get the line installed with the master box inside the cupboard, connect the wireless router in there as well and it is secure enough.

A simple solution would be to do without an adsl filter.(it's only needed for the telephone)

That, and a difficult to access master socket, should do it.

Most rentals have a locked cupboard with cleaning stuff or personal stuff in it. Just get the line installed with the master box inside the cupboard, connect the wireless router in there as well and it is secure enough.

This has to be the answer.

advertisement

Back