advertisement

Neat motive Sx2

Adam3004

pfm Member
Hi all I’m on the lookout for an amp to pair up with these speakers. Budget approx £600 new or used is fine.

I’m thinking something like the Cambridge CXA60, has anyone any experience of this amp of speakers, does the amp have enough power to drive them.
Thanks.

It’s a minimalist amp, I’ve always had tone controls before. Did you try any other amps before settling on it.

I’d need to buy something to allow he to listen to the radio but it should be good for my record player. I’m loling for something that gives a smooth sound with some excitement. There are to many choices.

I would use something like a NAD or a Pathos with those bright little Neats.

CA might be ok but theres a lack of body in the CXA60 so imo, could sound weak with the Neats.

I’ve heard people say they are bright but I’m not getting that. To me they sound clear as a bell and pretty smooth. I’m using a Marantz pm6006 at the mo so maybe I should stick with that brand, I just fancied a change. I was thinking of Yamaha and Creek also.

I’ve heard people say they are bright but I’m not getting that. To me they sound clear as a bell and pretty smooth. I’m using a Marantz pm6006 at the mo so maybe I should stick with that brand, I just fancied a change. I was thinking of Yamaha and Creek also.

That will be why, the Marantz, smooth as a butter. Yamaha has a nice natural sound..but really, you're probably going to end up with something similar to utlise the Neats properly, so why not go up the Marantz chain? The S1 amp has been reduced lately..or go for a Pathos Classic Remix or something similar, depending on budget. Italien amps are very smooth but a little more dynamic than Marantz in my opinion, having owned a fair few of both.

I’ve seen a couple of Yamaha as1000 on the bay for a good price. I’m not sure I could fit them into my rack they are big units. Look lovely though.

Previously had the S3's & a BrioR in my second setup, great little combo. Not the most "technical/hifi" sounding combo but it was a really enjoyable listen & a great combo.

Rega Elex/R is excellent, engaging and should be available s/h around budget

Perhaps Exposure amplication

I auditioned these speakers against Kudos X2 using Rega amplification, and whilst I went for Kudos their specification is very similar to the Neats. They sounded fine on the end of a Rega Brio and I use a Rega Mira to drive my Kudos speakers so I'd also recommend having a listen to a Rega amp.

It’s a minimalist amp, I’ve always had tone controls before. Did you try any other amps before settling on it.

I’d need to buy something to allow he to listen to the radio but it should be good for my record player. I’m loling for something that gives a smooth sound with some excitement. There are to many choices.

No I bought the amp for a pair of b&w's then changed speakers at a later date. I tried loads of speakers with amp though - kef ls50, the newer b&w 700 series, harbeth p3esr, harbeth c7es3 and dynaudio Emit M10 and the neats were my favourite combo .. Defo try the new brio, the amp itself is really dynamic and quite warm so goes well with neats, I wouldn't call them bright with the rega just a really good listen

I’m liking the sound if the brio, thanks for the input.
Got a Brio for sale. I bought it the week before Xmas off Midland Audio Exchange as a stopgap while I was waiting for money from a property sale to come through. Since upgraded again to an Exposure 3010S2D, was tempted to keep the Brio, it's a superb little amp for the money. PM me if your interested.

Hello, I had the SX2's for a year or so. I found them quite artifically tinny and never really got on with them. I used them with a NIAM Nait, it was all just dynamics and no body. I think going for a Marantz or NAD like suggested would be a better solution.

I have some on the end of a Naim 200/202 combo. They are far from being tinny or tiring. In some ways a level of detail and scale is more like a good stand mount - I chose them over the bigger SX 1 for that reason.

Aren't Neat voiced with Naim? I'm not sure but it's been said before on here. I've got Motive 3's and tinny/thin/tiring has never been my observation. But they do respond very well to improving amps, that much has been obvious.

advertisement

Back