advertisement

'Nasty evil @%$kers. . .'

Again, my only issue with the apostrophe is in using it to indicate possession (with said exceptions). As a bonus, its disappearance may even ensure the demise of the annoying greengrocers apostrophe šŸ™‚
The greengrocerā€™s(ā€™) apostrophe is misapplied to pluralā€™s rather than possession, though. So losing it for possession wonā€™t cure them. Culling is the only sure solution.

Not just England! What about the sensible majorities in Scotland and N. Ireland that voted to remain in Europe? There's also a little place called Wales I'm told.

You're in mortal danger of being branded a 'Little Englander' if you ignore the rest of the UK. (but I'm sure it was just a slip of the keyboard. šŸ‘ )
Thanks for quoting me Narab. ;)

Noooo, not a keyboard slip, I just didn't want to brand those other innocent regions tory lands.

Me, little Englander' nooo, I worked in the music business before I retired, my forte was live music events, many bands we put on live in the venue I worked in as a sound tech and trouble shooter @ live events, most acts were from Europe and the United States, every one there was welcome.

A great life, I met so many medium and large acts during our sound checks, one of my greatest moments there was when we put on, "The Fall" meeting Mark E Smith was amazing and unforgettable.

I may share a fuller story later if any Fishes are interested, it was epic. :D

will capitals follow? apparently text speak is killing them,
There's absolutely no lower case to answer for that.
The greengrocerā€™s(ā€™) apostrophe is misapplied to pluralā€™s rather than possession, though.
As there are no apostrophes in forming plurals the greengrocer's apostrophe simply cannot be one, so another name must be applied. Semi- quotation, smudge, tadpole...whatever; banana may be apposite here.

As there are no apostrophes in forming plurals the greengrocer's apostrophe simply cannot be one, so another name must be applied. Semi- quotation, smudge, tadpole...whatever; banana may be apposite here.

Hence the greengrocers' apostrophe, otherwise which greengrocer are we singling out for ridicule?

Beg to differ m'lud. As does Wikipedia.

Apostrophe is the name of the diacritical mark itself, not the purpose it is put to. And, as that Wiki article notes, there are some rare and specific examples of where an apostrophe does get used to denote a plural, notably: the contraction P's & Q's, perhaps also, I suggest: T's & P's though that one is also a contraction, but the plural is definitely apostrophised there too.

Beg to differ m'lud. As does Wikipedia.

Apostrophe is the name of the diacritical mark itself, not the purpose it is put to. And, as that Wiki article notes, there are some rare and specific examples of where an apostrophe does get used to denote a plural, notably: the contraction P's & Q's, perhaps also, I suggest: T's & P's though that one is also a contraction, but the plural is definitely apostrophised there too.

..or taxi's. (see post #47). Anybody know why?

I can't find any reference to it on the Net, but I'm pretty sure that in the dim and distant past the word 'Bus' was often preceded by an apostrophe to indicate the contraction from 'Omnibus'.

How did we get from Jonathan Pie to apostrophes?

To be honest I have not viewed the tube but there is absolutely no point in discussing anything with you because you view me and my like as "massive *****".

Channel 5s ā€œBargain Loving Brits in the Sunā€ tells what lifeā€™s like for your lot.

Hence the greengrocers' apostrophe, otherwise which greengrocer are we singling out for ridicule?
This is a moot point, as do you consider the apostrophe belonging to/as used by a greengrocer or, by inference, all greengrocers? If the first, it's simply an example but not necessarily inclusive. If the second, you are tarring the lot with the same brush. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it pending a better explanation. I.e., the (errant) apostrophe connected to the the trade of greengrocer.
And, as that Wiki article notes, there are some rare and specific examples of where an apostrophe does get used to denote a plural, notably: the contraction P's & Q's, perhaps also, I suggest: T's & P's though that one is also a contraction, but the plural is definitely apostrophised there too.
Wonder what Ps and Qs is short for (can't find it in my OED) as I'd say that in those odd cases it's contractions, not plurals. Capitals render anything else apart from S redundant. More evidence needed to sway me, not that I use Wiki as a bible, exhaustive as it is on most things.
It is obviously a cunning Tory plot to deflect from the OP.

You can't trust them there........ Tory's.
Clever combination of deflection obfuscation there (I hope) :)

Wonder what Ps and Qs is short for (can't find it in my OED) as I'd say that in those odd cases it's contractions, not plurals. Capitals render anything else apart from S redundant. More evidence needed to sway me, not that I use Wiki as a bible, exhaustive as it is on most things.

Clever combination of deflection obfuscation there (I hope) :)
I think thatā€™s why pā€™s & qā€™s is different. The letters donā€™t stand for anything, so itā€™s not a contraction.

Pints and Quarts. It's a reference to bar tabs, which used to be kept on a slate. So actually P's and Q's is - pedantically - correct

I think thatā€™s why pā€™s & qā€™s is different. The letters donā€™t stand for anything, so itā€™s not a contraction.
Pints and Quarts. It's a reference to bar tabs, which used to be kept on a slate. So actually P's and Q's is - pedantically - correct

There are actually quite a few suggestions as to the meaning of P's and Q's. One of them going back to the 17th Century iirc, but there doesn't seem to be one definitive answer.

advertisement

Back