advertisement

Nap 250 connection

TLS

pfm Member
Can a Nap 250 be connected directly from the preamplifier (102) instead of from the Hicap? That would make the signal shorter and one less connector.

250's connected with 4 pin din to AES/3 pin (can't remember the name) and no 24v supply. Shouldn't need any custom cables.

The lower amps (90,110,140,160,180 ect) have 24v supply for pre's and need custom cable sets.

Yes I've done this. I also got a 'power only' cable from flashback to go from the hicap to the pre. Some one on here said it would be a good idea.

As divedeepdog says, 4 pin DIN to 3 pin XLR connects pre to a 250 without need for custom cables. I've done that with my 82 to 250 without problems, not sure if it sounded better mind you! Costs nothing to try it.
250's connected with 4 pin din to AES/3 pin (can't remember the name) and no 24v supply. Shouldn't need any custom cables.

The lower amps (90,110,140,160,180 ect) have 24v supply for pre's and need custom cable sets.

Thanks for replies. Guess I will try that and leave it connected this way for a while to see if it sound any better.

Ah - I stand corrected. Was probably because I went to Avondale TPX1 which also split power from signal.

A now retired official Naim importer used to suggest linking the pre amp to the 250 and having a power only link between the Hicap and pre amp for sound quality reasons. I agreed that it did sound a little better like that - I even still have a power only 240° (Flashback DIN) cable for that left over from my Naim days...

advertisement

Back