advertisement

Name the best speakers you have EVER heard please

Not sure how to pick a best, but there lots of speakers I would describe as very memorable.

1) Sanders 10e driven by Magtech amp - incredible 3D realism, but a very narrow sweet spot.

2) Trenner & Freidl Pharoahs driven by Hegel amp - lush tonality, zero fatigue.

3) YG Carmel 2 driven by Vitus amp - very detailed, excellent imaging.

4) Devore Orangutan O/96 driven by Line Magnetc tube amp - best soundstage depth I’ve ever heard.

Living Voice Vox Olympian
hands down the best speakers I have ever heard, mesmerising
followed by
Living Voice Vox Elysian
really quite extraordinary

Apogee Divas driven by some monstrous Krell amps and a Golmund reference turntable.

About 1990 when I worked in audio

Absolutely bonkers . . .

D

i heard a similar setup around that time -- it was my first experience with anything HiFi. just amazing. (though the rig i heard was fronted by a Krell CD player, rather than the Goldmund -- perish the thought!)

Tony's comment earlier about "shifting air" was certainly true in this case -- the notes just exploded from the Apogees in a way i haven't heard before or since. if i had a basement all to myself this is what i'd get.

After a few recent tweaks a change of posistion, speaker cable and a new cart my Dynaudio Contour S3.4's are the best I've owned.

Seriously peeps, I believe you would be astonished by the way these suckers move air. MBL Extremes - speakers unlike anything else out there....

Speaker and bass units for one channel....
0CB21AC6-44B3-4B10-89B0-A9F6D49A3A8C_zpsg4oq1osm.jpg

The full monty......needs a bit of room though :)

C4C3B70E-CB98-4D1A-8B9B-0F071CF88E7A_zpsan2ypqsc.jpg

Fascinating how both Quad and Shahinian are amongst the most mentioned here. Isobariks crop up a fair bit, too. As much as it's nice that some people also share my enjoyment of Shahinian speakers, I find it really disappointing that things haven't moved on. Shahinian speakers are very old in their design (the ones I've owned) and when people mention the Diapason, I would imagine they heard the mk1, not the mk2, similar to me. ESL57s are as old as the hills and probably the first genuine high-end speaker many people ever heard. With the exception of streaming, I don't think hi-fi has improved and when the yoof are blamed for their pre-occupation with phones and headphones, the answer lies a little closer to home, I feel. Manufacturers should genuinely be raising the bar, rather than simply putting their designs in blingy boxes and charging a bloody fortune. If that strays a little off topic, apologies.

Some design by Audio Note powered by Ongaku's.

Sub-optimal Show conditions but I think it was this that lasted in memory out of many.

Fascinating how both Quad and Shahinian are amongst the most mentioned here. Isobariks crop up a fair bit, too. As much as it's nice that some people also share my enjoyment of Shahinian speakers, I find it really disappointing that things haven't moved on. Shahinian speakers are very old in their design (the ones I've owned) and when people mention the Diapason, I would imagine they heard the mk1, not the mk2, similar to me. ESL57s are as old as the hills and probably the first genuine high-end speaker many people ever heard. With the exception of streaming, I don't think hi-fi has improved and when the yoof are blamed for their pre-occupation with phones and headphones, the answer lies a little closer to home, I feel. Manufacturers should genuinely be raising the bar, rather than simply putting their designs in blingy boxes and charging a bloody fortune. If that strays a little off topic, apologies.

Very good points!
Maybe speakers have moved on but some enthusiasts are stuck in the past? I would take a pair of Kii3s or Kudos Titans over any Shahinian or small Quads (989 sized ones in a sympathetic room, are another matter). And FWIW Kii3s wouldn't make it to my list of best ever speakers.

The flagship of the entire Dominator line: the MX-10. I have a pair of these myself. Thirty inches of thigh-slapping, blood-pumping nuclear brain damage!

Joe

Funnily enough, If you wanted 2 x 30inch drivers, Electrovoice could scratch that itch:

http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/15/377/37781/d.jpg

Room friendly undercoat grey, and the 30inches are round the back - ooh missuss!

Nowadays, apparently, a small biscuit-tin full of bits, connected to a strawberry poop with a bucketful of spaghetti, can turn your phone into Newcastle city hall.

The KEF Reference 103.2 is an incredible all-rounder. No problems with rap there.

My Tannoy Chatsworth with 12" Monitor Gold better them in every department though, so they get my vote.

Ken Chan's (one-time proprietor of 'The Sound Chamber' in London, Ontario) JQD variation on Mark Levinson's HQD system. The 'J', in this case, standing for a pair of Janus 15" subs, rather than the twin Hartley 224HS (24") in refrigerator sized enclosures of the Levinson. I was well acquainted with the sound of Beverage, Dayton-Wright, Acoustat 2, 3, 4, One+One, Two+Two, Six, and Eight (the ultimate full-range ESL ever) but the JQD was perfection.

advertisement

Back