advertisement

Nait 2 or Ion Obelisk 3x with x-pac?

I'm planning on selling some audio gear and buying either a Nait 2 or Ion Obelisk. I feel like a Nait 2 must be overpriced nowadays, however, if I ever wanted to sell it then I wouldn't lose any money. I have some obscure speakers that are similar to Linn Kans and also a pair of Rega Kytes. My source is a Rasperry Pi with IQ Audio Dac+ for digital and I'm considering buying an Elite Rock at some point. The room that I'll be using is small (L: 2.8 metre, W: 2.3). I think the Ion gear would be around £300 total and Nait 2 would be £700ish. Has anyone here compared the two?

No, not done a directi comparison. But, have heard both and the NAIT always sounded congested to me. I was very happy with ION Obelisk 3-X/X-Pak for some years. I had two sets at one point and bi amped, using one set for pre/HF duties and the other for LF. If you can find decent ones I'd go for them. I regret selling mine.
Try to get the later ( phono as opposed to DIN) versions and ideally with the nice 'machined effect' buttons, rather than the earlier moulded finish ones. They just look nicer. Obvious caveat. These amps are a bit long in the tooth now and would probably benefit from a sympathetic service by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Good luck!

Mull

Id opt for a 42.5/110 as it sounds lots better than a nait2 and is substantially cheaper.

Then again a 12s/160 is probably cheaper and scores many cool points.

Id opt for a 42.5/110 as it sounds lots better than a nait2 and is substantially cheaper.

Then again a 12s/160 is probably cheaper and scores many cool points.

You beat me to it but I was going to suggest a 32.5/110 as it gives you tweaking options.

To be fair, there's very little in it 'space wise' between original 'half width' NAIM pre/power and ION Obelisk plus X-pak. I think you need to hear the sound differences though.

I wont have much space so I would prefer to just get an integrated.

The Ion Obelisk is two boxes and no longer supported

So if your just looking for one box (half width - or will stack ?) you might add to your list:
Heed Obelisk Si
Rega Brio/R
Cyrus One

Have you considered either a Temple Audio Bantam Gold or Amptastic mini-1? Either of these will show any naim offering at 3 or 4 times, or more, the price a clean pair of heels.

It's true that they are powered by external power supplies, and you can go nuts with any after power supply you care to consider, but they take up very little shelf space (about 5 or 6 times, in volume) than a nait 2.

Only single input each, though but something like a Tisbury passive would fix that.

Have you considered either a Temple Audio Bantam Gold or Amptastic mini-1? Either of these will show any naim offering at 3 or 4 times, or more, the price a clean pair of heels.

It's true that they are powered by external power supplies, and you can go nuts with any after power supply you care to consider, but they take up very little shelf space (about 5 or 6 times, in volume) than a nait 2.

Only single input each, though but something like a Tisbury passive would fix that.

Tbh I haven't really considered much else other than the Ion and Nait. I know that the Ion apparently works great with my speakers but I'm just worried about the serviceability. The Nait obviously has great resale value and it's easy to service. I'll look into other amps though.

It might be worth posting a quetion about serviceability of the IONs in the DIY section. Some clever people in there and IIRC a long running thread about ION

I still have 2 or 3 unused new old stock Obelisk 3x power amp modules if anyone’s interested :)

Richard

Nait 2

You will not regret it

Congested it is not

PS/ for god's sake do not spend £700
These can be found for £500 at most, it seems over priced....that is until you fire one up.

You could always buy both & move on what you don't like, both will sell easily with little or no loss.

Reactions: TLS
Dont think I've ever heard a Nait 2 described as 'congested'. Maybe the one mentioned had a chest infection... I had one for many years, and I've another now. I just don't recognise 'congested' within its repertoire. £500 shuld easily do it. You could have mine for that, bit of a keep sake that I probably dont need.

Amptastic 1 is a good left-field suggestion though. Limited in power but there's one in my son's room. If you can live with the low power, a great little thing.

I can offer an ION Obelix 1 for £250 plus delivery - again I've kept this little marvel hanging around for while but if someone else will use it and appreciate it then, so be it.

Dont think I've ever heard a Nait 2 described as 'congested'. Maybe the one mentioned had a chest infection... I had one for many years, and I've another now. I just don't recognise 'congested' within its repertoire. £500 shuld easily do it. You could have mine for that, bit of a keep sake that I probably dont need.

Amptastic 1 is a good left-field suggestion though. Limited in power but there's one in my son's room. If you can live with the low power, a great little thing.

Is yours the Olive model? I wasn't planning on buying one for a few more months yet as the room isn't ready.

I can offer an ION Obelix 1 for £250 plus delivery - again I've kept this little marvel hanging around for while but if someone else will use it and appreciate it then, so be it.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll get a Nait 2 and then compare it with the Ion at a later date if I see a 3 with x-pac for sale.

Yes mine's an olive. Perfect in all respects. I won't be actively advertising it I don't think but if you did decide to come back to me I check in here every couple of days.

advertisement

Back