advertisement

Naim

valves

pfm Member
Hi,

I'm currently using Primaluna 3 and 5 valve equipment, just fitted brand new valves sourced from Watford Valves.

I also have other bits and pieces including an LFD Mk3 le solid state integrated.

I'm assuming that Naim 32.5, Hi Cap and 250 would make a decent system?

Front end I have a NA Spacedeck with Decca Gold re tipped with a line contact stylus and Naim cd5x.

Speakers I have are Proac 1sc and Totem The One.

I'm looking to put together one system with synergy I can enjoy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

There are both Naim devotees and Naim detractors here. You'll get different advice from the two camps!

I can only suggest that you perhaps tell folk what you do/don't like regards the PrimaLuna, and what you hope to gain by changing kit.

Then, regardless of the advice you read here, have a listen yourself before committing if at all possible!

If one thing is for absolute certain, the Naim gear will sound "different".

You may prefer the more forward nature & drive, or you may miss the timbre and tonal sophistication of your existing gear.

Hi,

I like the tonal presentation of the valve gear.

I miss the rhythmic drive I'm guessing Naim gear can bring?

I'm an amateur musician and love the live sound.

IMHO and IME old Naim gear (i.e. various CB stuff, and Olive Nait 2 & 3 that I've owned) is pretty similar to valves - musically. very good in tonality, resolution, and overall musicality - though lacking (typical valve) body and warmth. I still use a Nait 3 for the same musicality why I generally do a pretty 'valve-y' sounding SS amp - for the summer as the Nait won't get hot at all. instead of the 250, though, I'd rather you went for a 160 - much more musical and closer to the 'valve' sonics (if there's anything like that). good luck, mate

You really need to try, that's the only way. Worth mentioning if you're going for new stuff, the latest 250DR is a completely different beast to the old ones.

Hi,

I like the tonal presentation of the valve gear.

I miss the rhythmic drive I'm guessing Naim gear can bring?

I'm an amateur musician and love the live sound.

Rhythmic drive and tone + timbre? Check out a Line Magnetic amp with 845 tubes

I've had my Naim gear since 1994.
To be honest I kind of stopped listening to it as it had gone off the boil somewhat.
When I discovered this forum last year and learnt about recapping it got me interested.
I recapped all my gear (hicap, nap180, cdi) and listen to it all the time now.
What I am trying to say is, in my opinion, there are hicaps and hicaps; those that are serviced and those which aren't. Same with 250's.
Be very wary of buying old unserviced Naim gear, it could be very disappointing.

32.5/Hi/250 make for a great old skool Naim system.

152XS/Flatcap 2X/150X makes for a great modern Naim system for similar money.

The ProAcs and Totems are both fine speakers and will work very well with Naim.

Consider the new Trilogy phono stage which at £895 is a game changer.

I realise any older Naim gear will need servicing, another cost consideration?

Oh, my Primaluna gear has been checked over by Glen Croft, it's 10 yrs old and no issues.

If you are patient, recently serviced gear shows up for sale at not a lot more than unserviced.

If you are patient, recently serviced gear shows up for sale at not a lot more than unserviced.

I have a 52/Supercap (serviced 2010 new pots etc) and two 250s (one CB one Olive) both serviced 2013 for sale if you are interested.

Doug

Try the newer gear, best of both worlds, smooth & sophisticated with the drive you crave. i would avoid olive gear though if you like valves.

You should be able to buy 32.5/Hi-cap/250 for less than £1500, buy it, try it. If you don't like, sell on for the same.

Pretty easy to do, plenty of decent fishes moving good gear :D

* Add NAP 110/160 to the list, bargains in CB world

Hi,

Would £1500.00 be for serviced gear?

On a good day, probably, 110/160 easier to acheive. I've yet to own a 250, but they all share the same sonic signature, just a bit more power as you go up the range.

Prices are pretty stable though, ebay completed listings is the best place to look.

I have 72 Teddycap CB250. Good combo.

There are of course infinite upgrade options with Naim but I've found the RSL boards the most cost effective. These elevate the performance of the whole package and give a superb remote control facility. They are available on eBay for around £300.

A serviced Chrome Bumper sounds as gorgeous as a much newer and more expensive 250.2 if a little different (I'm happy with either) so CB is the cost effective option there.
And try a Teddycap instead of Hicap - saves money and some say is an upgrade as well.

Hi,

I'm currently using Primaluna 3 and 5 valve equipment, just fitted brand new valves sourced from Watford Valves.

I also have other bits and pieces including an LFD Mk3 le solid state integrated.

I'm assuming that Naim 32.5, Hi Cap and 250 would make a decent system?

Front end I have a NA Spacedeck with Decca Gold re tipped with a line contact stylus and Naim cd5x.

Speakers I have are Proac 1sc and Totem The One.

I'm looking to put together one system with synergy I can enjoy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you saying you don't enjoy your actual system or is it that you just want to try something else? You could have fun with Naim but you have already being spoiled with valves so you may regret the move after a while...

What about your LFD amplifier ?

Will it not run your speakers properly ?

That amp should be able to provide both prat and good tonal timbre

your CD source is just fine, cabling ?
the cartridge is wonderfull in the right circumstances

If you want a taste of the CB Naim look for a 160/32.5 if you can find them, the 160 will power up the preamp, no need for a 250 unless difficult speakers
Basically their poweramps were similar with larger PSU the higher you get up ladder, ususally vintage CB Naim is free hifi as resell value stay
Count in for a service of the 160, class A hifi repairs has prices in their website

What a depressing thread!

My CB 250 has never been serviced!

How much will this cost me?

Wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

advertisement

Back