advertisement

Naim using xlr on new classic series

Nice to see naim are using xlr inputs now on their new classic range ....or perhaps you dont agree ?
A strange choice in the domestic hifi market. XLR is better than RCA for balanced signal and mechanically better for repeated connection. I suppose it looks more professional and fills panel space.

Nice to see naim are using xlr inputs now on their new classic range ....or perhaps you dont agree ?
I didn't know about this until I saw your post. To me, it's surely a way forward as the DIN connections to me are a chore. Although I own the 282/250DR, I have always used XLR connections on my reference (non-Naim) amp. My current amps are all endgame but if I were to pick a new reference amp in the future, it will surely need to come with balanced inputs. Singled-ended RCA is fine with cheap amps for casual listening. YMMV

XLRs on the NSC 222 let me plug straight into my active ATC 50s.
LP12 with Lingo 4 (easily hidden) and high output Dynavector 20x2 MC.

This leads to a very low box count and a very fuss free system.

Indeed. I was looking the the new 250 the other day. Along with XLR it also has a soft start (so no tripping of mains at switch on); 2 power supplies - one to start and one for normal operation. It's now a power amp with wider apoeal than just Naim systems. It is also cleaner and smarter look. It's certainly not cheap, but not really out of line with similar from other manufacturers. Add in tne long standing and proven product support in the UK and I think Naim will do well with this,

It's definitely progress - maybe down to the new owners?
I hope they can now fix the noisy transformers.
They have made some tweaks to the transfirmer; I have yet to hear the amo so can't give any feedback as to whether these have addressed tne issue.

They have made some tweaks to the transfirmer; I have yet to hear the amo so can't give any feedback as to whether these have addressed tne issue.
They are still noisy.
Even the £5.7k NPX 300 when connected just shifts the noise of the NSC 222 transformer to it's own transformer.
I tested it in my dealers and all agreed that they are noisy.

I didn't know about this until I saw your post. To me, it's surely a way forward as the DIN connections to me are a chore. Although I own the 282/250DR, I have always used XLR connections on my reference (non-Naim) amp. My current amps are all endgame but if I were to pick a new reference amp in the future, it will surely need to come with balanced inputs. Singled-ended RCA is fine with cheap amps for casual listening. YMMV
yes i just discovered my local store [ music matters ] sells bryston and he was suggesting the new naim to me as well , as you say not cheap but certainly means opening to a wider audience

Looking at the arse end of NAC332 begs the question, at what point does accommodating every major connector type become a liability (vs. simply jerking off the customers)?

On that note, note the slide switch for enabling/disabling RCA out, not to mention the floating vs. 'default' ground switch (i.e. NACs are supposed to be the star earth point for the whole Naim system).

Also, Naim's accessories pages only reference Super Lumina as being available shod with XLR to XLR. Are they flinging a pair of these £ 3,599. interconnects into the box with every 'New Classic' NAP 250, or is one expected to cough up the price of what could be a really decent amplifier for what can be had for less than £50 at any pro musician's shop?

NAC332-Back.jpg

XLRs on the NSC 222 let me plug straight into my active ATC 50s.
LP12 with Lingo 4 (easily hidden) and high output Dynavector 20x2 MC.

This leads to a very low box count and a very fuss free system.
They are so easy to plug in and out too. I have no preamp but switch XLR’s over from vinyl to digital sources. Like the reassuring click!

what is the real reason for using xlr inputs in home audio ?
XLR on high end equipment since the 1960s , recently on mass market gear
blob

blob

advertisement

Back