advertisement

Naim Superline Loading Combinations

LC Audio

Trade: LC Audio
Does anyone have experience with what the best loading plug combination for the Benz Micro LPs would be ...... looking for a shortcut rather than trial and error

Any suggestions gratefully received

Have you not seen the Naim forum where there seems to have been endless disicussions regarding loading of the Superline - surely the Benz has been covered?

I find that my Benz Ebony LP is best on 220R, though still sounds okay on 500R. Doesn't like 100R though, which my Urushi and Proteus do.

I run my Benz Ebony LP (original one) at 2K2. It's possible the LP-S prefers a different value to the LP?

But Mr Lucaschek recommends 47K!

Andy

Might have a problem getting a 47K plug!

I would think that Superline is already loaded at 10kΩ and you can't get higher than that. You can only lower this value with loading plugs. But that's just my guess.

Quick look at the manual seems to confirm this:

3.5 Cartridge Load Plug Combinations
10kΩ | 100pF - Internal load only. No plugs fitted.​

I would think that Superline is already loaded at 10kΩ and you can't get higher than that. You can only lower this value with loading plugs. But that's just my guess.

Quick look at the manual seems to confirm this:

3.5 Cartridge Load Plug Combinations
10kΩ | 100pF - Internal load only. No plugs fitted.​

10K is high enuff to cope with the Benz LP, though - I certainly don't like the sound from running mine at 47K.

Andy

Thanks for that ......... is it the std plug or one of the hybrid versions

Standard plugs as supplied with unit. I know it's a pain to plug/unplug ANYTHING with the Superline, as there's nothing to grab hold of (design fault, i.m.o.) but I push down gently to hold the suspended chassis. You'll have to try some numbers because both tastes and partnering kit do vary the result.

If the cart. is new, you'll have to run it in for a good 20 to 30 hours before evaluating resistance effects.

If it doesn't round right without plugs all the silly loadings in the world won't make it right. Don't waste your money and time if you don't like the sound. Leave the plug tinkerers thinking they've got the best phono stage on the planet which just needs the right plastic bullet up the backside to fix it.

PS Mike, haven't you tried 221R - much better.

If it doesn't round right without plugs all the silly loadings in the world won't make it right. Don't waste your money and time if you don't like the sound. Leave the plug tinkerers thinking they've got the best phono stage on the planet which just needs the right plastic bullet up the backside to fix it.

Mmmm, what a bizarre post???

Cartridges - whether they are MC or MM - need correct loading to sound their best.

The best phono stages (IMO) allow infinite loading options by having 100K default input load (and, say, 100pF in the case of MM phono stages) and 3 pairs of input RCA sockets:
* for the phono cable
* for 'R'-loaded plugs, and
* for 'C'-loaded plugs.

Andy

PS Mike, haven't you tried 221R - much better.

See my post 4. Can't believe there's a 221R plug as 1 ohm wouldn't make the slightest difference.

My friend made up his own variants for his Titan I at around the 500 to 650 ohm mark, but I'll stich with the supplied plugs, though I fancied one below 100 ohm when my Urushi was in service.

I run an Lp non-s, it's happiest into my paradise with 1K in parallel with the 10K Native loading. And it likes a little bit of capacitance as well. I'd suggest you try 1K and circa 2.2n, any little wima will do. Any old socket will do as well. Don't waste money on air plugs, make your own.

Mmmm, what a bizarre post???

Cartridges - whether they are MC or MM - need correct loading to sound their best.

The best phono stages (IMO) allow infinite loading options by having 100K default input load (and, say, 100pF in the case of MM phono stages) and 3 pairs of input RCA sockets:
* for the phono cable
* for 'R'-loaded plugs, and
* for 'C'-loaded plugs.

Andy

Don't worry Andy, apparently Julian Vereker shot abbydog's dog. Any mention of Naim and up he pops with rabid anti-Naim stuff.

Anyway, as sq posts, don't bother with Airplugs, find the resistors that work best, get in touch with Texas Components in the USA, buy a couple of Z-foils from them for a few quid, solder them on some DIN pins, stick ' em in the right sockets & you're good to go!

Don't worry Andy, apparently Julian Vereker shot abbydog's dog. Any mention of Naim and up he pops with rabid anti-Naim stuff.

Anyway, as sq posts, don't bother with Airplugs, find the resistors that work best, get in touch with Texas Components in the USA, buy a couple of Z-foils from them for a few quid, solder them on some DIN pins, stick ' em in the right sockets & you're good to go!

Haha, good one, Tony! :D

I moved on from Naim about 15 years ago, so don't have a Superline - so use RCA plugs. I've been using Holcos for my load plugs but, yes, I really should get some Z-foils ... thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Andy

advertisement

Back