advertisement

Naim Snaxo 362

andyzeg

Hi All - could anyone kindly advise me if a Naim Snaxo 362 (olive or CB) which is used for Isobariks can be adapted for use with Naim NBL speakers...or are they specific?

Many thanks

Andrew

I'm pretty certain they're specific Andrew. Although you can adjust the individual channel levels the crossover points differ. Might be worth checking with Naim; I've a feeling there isn't too much difference though.

If it is a 362 it will probably not be CB or olive it would be a 3/6. The outputs are configured differently to allow different stereo amplifier connection. This allows the use of three different amps one for each frequency.
3/6 Bass/Mid Bass/Mid Tre/Tre
3/6/2 Bass/Bass Mid/Mid Tre/Tre
The 3/6 can be internally rewired for outputs that correspond to that of the 362.
An Isobarik snaxo is not, If I remember correctly, directly compatible frequency wise with NBLs but can have components changed so that it is but the necessary info seems to be closely guarded. So a return to Naim may be the option.
I would find an NBL Snaxo rather than have one changed if you can from a cost point of view. If you already have it, to offset the cost, I think an Isobarik Snaxo would always attract a good value second hand. They are not something you often see these days.
You could always try it and see. I ran my DBLs with an NBL snaxo 3/6 at first before having it changed by Naim.
I purchased a 362 when it became available which was an improvement, to my ears, in every respect

Thanks very much for your kind help and advice folks.

I think I would be better off looking for the appropriate snaxo for my NBLs. Or just throw myself off the deep end and go for a Nap 500!! :)

Maybe I should just be happy with my present Nap 135s!

Regards

Thanks very much for your kind help and advice folks.

I think I would be better off looking for the appropriate snaxo for my NBLs. Or just throw myself off the deep end and go for a Nap 500!! :)

Maybe I should just be happy with my present Nap 135s!

Regards

Perhaps but speaking as someone who has done that very thing, the Nap500 trounced my Naim serviced 6 pack, from the very first note. There was no going back.
I kept my crossover though, for future use.

Nice thought....but I can't quite see myself selling the house to buy 3 x 500s plus the crossover etc....they wouldn't sound the same in a tent :)

I'd be very tempted to try out a single 500 on my NBL's if I ever tripped over some PXO's for them.

Unfortunately getting PXO's on their own seems improbable unless a pair of NBL's somewhere has some sort of accident.

I use a dbl snaxo 362 for a pair of nbls and it works fine , I also have an olive nbl snaxo but the new style dbl one sounds better.

Naim supply basically the same unit for briks and dbls so a non burndied naxo for briks should work ok with nbls.

The difference between snaxos for nbl and dbl is that the xover point between the bass and mid range on nbls is 100hz lower than dbls at around 200-250hz

Briks and DBLs had different crossover characteristics, and the (S)NAXOs were setup accordingly. That was the same when they went from NAXO to SNAXO and and between CB and Olive. All the filters were set by careful component matching, they have to be made in the variant they're designed for.

Sadly I don't have the frequency and slope info for any of them.

Does anyone know if an early bolt down naxo 3 is likely to be set up for 'briks?
I've bought one a while ago from the states while collecting parts to take my isobarik's active.
I'm thinking as it predates the dbl's it will have been made for 'briks or is that a bit of a far-fetched conclusion I've jumped to?

I don't think I've seen a bolt down NAXO. It probably was for Isobariks given the cosiness of the Linn/Naim relationship at the time. Most early NAXOs I've seen are for Isobariks.

9lSwd9.jpg

xPKZKE.jpg

uPoqUZ.jpg

8ajjF6.jpg

I don't think I've seen a bolt down NAXO. It probably was for Isobariks given the cosiness of the Linn/Naim relationship at the time. Most early NAXOs I've seen are for Isobariks.

Can the component values be copied off an early NAXO board and translated to a SNAXO for use with 'briks?

I have converted a Snaxo 36 to have the same components which set the frequency and slope as a naxo for isobariks, the Snaxo was far better as it was so I put it back to standard.

Can the component values be copied off an early NAXO board and translated to a SNAXO for use with 'briks?

No reason why not. You then have to match the capacitors between channels. It's a lot of work.

No definitely not - all you'll get is another Naxo!

Naim changed the filter implementation going from Naxo to Snaxo so they sound different.

The Mcbride site gives the filter R's and C's for the original 2 way Naxo but the Snaxo uses different R's and C's.

I didn't think they actually changed the circuit (though obviously they did change the layout) going from Snaxo to Snaxo2 so I'm interested in why people think they sound different. I'd be interested in knowing what had been changed if I'm wrong and they did change the circuit.

advertisement

Back