advertisement

Naim or not

Worth noting that the above-mentioned JVC thread was kicked off by a long-standing member listening to - and preferring - a £70 JVC AX-3 to his NAIM 72 and 2x135s. That's not to say the NAIMs are no good - they are - but it goes to show what is on offer if you have a look around. Ultimately he and a number of others, including myself, ended up with the JVC AX-Z1010TN which, itself, is a big step up from the AX-3. Wonderful bit of kit.

Hi

I currently have a Sonos connect going through a Arcam R dac which is connected to a Marantz PM 8004 amp running Quad 22L speakers . Music is either flac files or the tidal streaming service. But I have always had an itching to try some Naim amplification but would I be wasting my time with out changing other parts of the system. Any ideas on what models to try great fully received also quite happy to go down the second hand route.

Thanks
Mike.
Go for the olive series, just picked up a nait 3 amp after owning a nait 5i very briefly, blows it away musically, the 5i sounds much duller, the nait 3 much more alive, wonderful little amp. Have a squeezebox touch linked to it.

Sure, but it doesn't necessarily make it the best or say that you'd like it. I could use a 30s bay front semi in Nuneaton as a "reference" for housing, knowing that nicer houses are out here. At the same time, I like whisky. Laphroaig is a reference, I can pick it out at 10 paces before the glass has touched my lips. I don't like the stuff, but it's a reference.

A reference is about a touchstone, something that in your mind at least doesn't move about and can be used to compare others, be they better or worse.

Just been reading the JVC thread now that is a interesting read. There is hope yet for people with smaller budgets .

Mike

Many people before me have commented on the Naim "sound'' which I believe to be fast-paced, rhythmic and detailed.

In contrast, I would describe the Marantz house sound as warm, detailed and slightly more laid back than Naim.

So I'd say it would depend on whether you'd be comfortable going from one to the other.

If yes, then perhaps the SN2 which is a very good amp.

If no, then maybe move up the Marantz ladder to one of its Reference series amps.

Hi
Well thanks for all the replies still not really sure what the hell to do so I think I will just take my time listen to a few things and keep an eye on the second hand market.

Mike

advertisement

Back