advertisement

Naim or not

mikebh50

pfm Member
Hi

I currently have a Sonos connect going through a Arcam R dac which is connected to a Marantz PM 8004 amp running Quad 22L speakers . Music is either flac files or the tidal streaming service. But I have always had an itching to try some Naim amplification but would I be wasting my time with out changing other parts of the system. Any ideas on what models to try great fully received also quite happy to go down the second hand route.

Thanks
Mike.

Mike

If i was you i'd go find a Naim dealer and have a listen. Better still see if you can borrow some. It really does have a different approach to most other brands and you need to see if you like it. I have to say I don't but everyone is different.

Graeme

Yes heard a nait 2 a few years ago and was impressed. Are the pre powers a better bet or would a nait 5 be ok?

What the thoughts on quad amps to.

You can safely scratch the itch with some second hand olive or chrome Naim. Even if you try it for a year or more you won't lose out much, if anything, if you end up selling it on.

I love my olive Naim gear but think buying the new black Naim is too expensive.

Yes I love Naim too, always have. Agree that the black and Olive are 2 very different sounds as well, I went from new black to 2nd hand olive. The beauty is you really only "borrow" it as you will not lose anything on mint boxed Olive, and it sounds great.

Yes, there is nicer sounding stuff about I've now found out but olive Naim is to my mind always a safe bet.

Yes heard a nait 2 a few years ago and was impressed. Are the pre powers a better bet or would a nait 5 be ok?

Maybe not in your current setup

The Nait 2 represent the olive era and sound like the larger pre/power of that time but limited output, there's a reason prices are gone mad its a superb Little amp IMO, it will not be enough though, for Quad 22 i guess, maybe a 140/62 which is kind of a hotspot

As for a start I'd say try a s/h Nait 5i - current entry level, very universal amp but need to run high volume not to sound muffled, and what an entry level it is, usually it wipes the floor of most competition out there talking engagement and pure fun, just my own experience and taste, take it with a pinch.. - free hifi as resale value are fine, should it work in your evironment go looking for more

How do you listen to music? I ask because (IMHO and as a Naim owner of some pretty expensive kit) I prefer my music to make me tap my feet, prevent me from reading/chatting whilst its playing because it's grapped my attention and caused me to explore new musical genres. If you don't fancy this effect - look elsewhere

Hi

I currently have a Sonos connect going through a Arcam R dac which is connected to a Marantz PM 8004 amp running Quad 22L speakers . Music is either flac files or the tidal streaming service. But I have always had an itching to try some Naim amplification but would I be wasting my time with out changing other parts of the system. Any ideas on what models to try great fully received also quite happy to go down the second hand route.

Thanks
Mike.

Hegel H160 @ £2k+

It beats Naim and you get a smashing DAC to boot. Easy decision!

Peter

I like to listen to music so tend to send rest of family out the room , might seem weird but like to sit in near darkness and just enjoy what I am listening to.

Mike

You want to try it, so you should try it. You may like it, or not. It may not be the best value for money, certainly as a new item. However if it floats your boat above all other you won't care. If you buy the older stuff, like olive and CB era, the values are only going one way, as others have said, so if you want to change in the future you'll not lose anything.

New Naim will of course depreciate for the first few years, so if you resell you'll pay dearly.

Not all Naim sounds the same. The definite signature of the olive models is now watered down. You may think that this is a good or a bad thing. I prefer the newer stuff but the prices are eye watering and the performance merely adequate, so I shop elsewhere. Listen (a lot) before you buy if you must buy new.

I think to hear real Naim synergy (certainly with
older amps) you need an LP12 or similar front end. Others please disagree but that's based on my experience.

Hi Stevec67
I find a Roksan Xerxes 20+ to sound really rather sweet with a chrome bumper era Naim amplifier and Art speakers.

My previous LP12 was nice too but the Roksan bettered it.

Alternatively, a mac mini also plays sweet music into a Naim DAC-V1, NAP140 and PMC DB1i speakers.

If it's a very affordable and wonderfully sweet sounding amp that you are looking for, then I still have fond memories of my old Arcam A60, a lovely thing.

YMMV

Best regards, FT

If it's a very affordable and wonderfully sweet sounding amp that you are looking for, then I still have fond memories of my old Arcam A60, a lovely thing.

YMMV

Best regards, FT

Another sweetie, I would recommend a Rega Brio amplifier but maybe not suitable for Quad 22L speakers

advertisement

Back