advertisement

Naim Olive sleeve - new powder coating texture?

magentawhale

can't carry a tuna
Has anyone ever had a Naim Olive sleeve re-painted with textured powder coating? I am considering having it done, but I'm kind of reluctant since I don't want the new finish to differ too much from the original.

Tips and thoughts very welcome!

Wash with a toothbrush. Then lightly respray, dusting multiple dry layers from a satin black rattle can. Don't paint so much it gets wet, spray from 2 foot away, just dusting it, repeat half a dozen times. That'll retain the texture detail but give it a new mid sheen coat.

If you cannot use the technique above and must have it refinished, then go to a good refinisher and show them the finish you need, and they should be able to match it.
I know this because I have a mate who does small scale powercoating and he showed me a sample that was so close a match it was excellent

+1 to sq's comments above.

But first, just take the sleeve you have and give it a good hot soak in a mild clothes-wash detergent solution before the toothbrush treatment - see how well it'll likely turn out from just that! 30yrs of dust/fines from the duster!/ settling into the texture, once removed, might well mean no further action required.

+1 to sq's comments above.

But first, just take the sleeve you have and give it a good hot soak in a mild clothes-wash detergent solution before the toothbrush treatment - see how well it'll likely turn out from just that! 30yrs of dust/fines from the duster!/ settling into the texture, once removed, might well mean no further action required.

Tried this technique on a Linn Karik I bought second hand. Really looking so much better.

People underestimate how much you can do with a simple rattle-can. I redid my textured speaker stands, and it took no time at all.

Pro-tip: buy the paint from a graffiti supply shop. They’ll be the most knowledgeable, and the the tins will be £4, as opposed to £8 at an art shop. Ask for a low-pressure brand, as it’s easier for a novice to get to grips with.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have had quite a few Olive sleeves that really benefited from being soaked in a dish washing solution overnight, but this specific one has some minor surface scratches.
Will try the spray can tip, and can always investigate having it professionally re-painted or powder-coated later. Thanks!

If you cannot use the technique above and must have it refinished, then go to a good refinisher and show them the finish you need, and they should be able to match it.
I know this because I have a mate who does small scale powercoating and he showed me a sample that was so close a match it was excellent

Do you think you can give me the specific type of powder-coating (brand, structure, etc) he used for it? Perhaps I can have it done over here in The Netherlands using the same product.

advertisement

Back