advertisement

Naim NAP250DR vs NAP300

kensalriser

pfm Member
Seeking opinions from those who have experience of both. Presentational and qualitative differences. Please note, only the 250DR and 300 non-DR, not other permutations!

Wholly depends on what you are asking them to drive.....
Indeed relevant, the first 300 wasn't very good looking at their entire range.
s/h prices reflect this.

With Naims elevated recap expenses, an old 300 should be low on the list.
A 250DR is really nice imo.

Over the past few years using the same SL2 speakers, I've owned the following NAPs in this order
250DR
now back to a 250DR

Says it all.
Interesting. I did the same journey with the addition of 135's in the mix, except the end point, as I left Naim power amps behind. Still use their pre, streamer e.t.c. Hence my point ref speakers. There is a belief in the Naim community that there power amps can 'drive anything'. Truth is way different.

It's worth noting the Naim pre amps I used at the time

250DR - 272
300 - 272, 282/SCDR, 252DR, 552DR
500 - 552DR
250DR - 552DR

I had an older 300 for a bit. It hummed, hissed slightly and sounded a bit smeary. I moved it on rather than get it serviced as it wasn’t really economic. My new 250NC is night and day better (as it should be).

I think Naim owners have too much choice with not only having the freedom to choose current kit but they can go back 40 years if they want. It must be all but impossible to get that perfect combination.

I once ran NAC52/135s and replaced the 135s with a 300. I still have the 300 and have no intention of changing it.

I had an older 300 for a bit. It hummed, hissed slightly and sounded a bit smeary. I moved it on rather than get it serviced as it wasn’t really economic. My new 250NC is night and day better (as it should be).
I‘ve had all the classic non dr power amps, the 300 was my favourite and the one amp I’d have here again, keep half an eye on eBay now prices are dropping, I preferred it to the 500 which I realise isn‘t the usual opinion. I had no hum or hiss, only issue was a blown fuse or two but that’s not unusual, my neighbour had a 300 and had blown fuses too, gave him my spares when my 300 left the building.

We had a couple demo days at a dealer in Edinburgh with the new Naim NC 200 and 300 ranges, standout product for us by a long way was that 250NC amp, just superb it is.

OP - buy both used at decent prices, may take a wee while but used stuff at present isn’t moving so good time to buy, sell the one you like least after an extended head to head.

Bear in mind that the 250 and the 300 are essentially the same amp packaged differently, the 300 has more thermal management which might be useful if you intend to run it hard, but I don’t
I auditioned my present speakers at the dealer (which I bought) using a 250 DR and latterly got greedy and bought a used 300 non DR. What a shmuck!
On arrival my used 300 sounded terrible, woolly bass and rolled off treble, my fairly new SuperUniti Sounded better.
I sent my 300 to Naim for service and DR upgrade (available at that time) and this fixed my concerns with my 300 now housing essentially a new 300DR inside the old case. (Naim tech told me that They just swap out the amp boards and keep the cases and transformer )

i am currently thinking of an alternative to my current power amp, having been sucked in by Naim marketing Never again.
My 300DR might be up for sale soon.

Aah thanks, so no NC200 then ?
Or is that a psu ?
No NC200

There’s the streaming pre 222 and power 250

There’s the streamer 333, pre 332, mono blocks 350

Both 200 and 300 series can use the new power supply in various ways NPX300

Also a new matching phono stage and psu NVC TT/NPX TT

We had demo’s of all the above over a couple of different days, the new 250 power amp was very impressive but now costs £6200.

new 250 power amp was very impressive but now costs £6200
I completely lost interest when I heard retail prices of the NC range.
They do look good though.

I've heard them a couple of times, but they seem forced to use horrible Focal loudspeakers, overpriced monsters, which sound terrible to my ears, impossible to judge amplication on that basis.

The 300, albeit dr vs 250dr question is on my mind too.
The problem I have us thar I just see a 300 as a 250 in two boxes. But there may be more to it than that.
I did wonder about using 2 off 250drs. One to drive each channel, but not bi wired/amped. So the 250 transformer only has to work half as hard.
2 off 250drs would be cheaper than a 300( dr) too.

Wholly depends on what you are asking them to drive.....
At the moment system 1 has a 52 and PMC Twenty 24, system 2 has an 82 and Royd Apex. The latter will be replaced at some point, even though they sound pretty good with the 82/250DR. Space considerations make it very unlikely that I'll be acquiring any speakers these amps will have a problem with.

advertisement

Back