advertisement

Naim NAIT 2 Restoration Project

Thanks to @nobeone for pointing me to this thread, which I will follow with interest!

I have a Nait 2 that I've owned for about 15 years. Of course when I purchased it, the seller told me it had just been serviced — and I didn't know enough to realize in fact it had never been touched. My Nait has been on the shelf for a few years as I've played around with other amps (most recently, a Schiit Vidar — rather a different beast!) but I brought it out recently as I've renovated my garage and need a system out there. I opened it up and posted about it on AudioFlat, where I was informed that my Nait 2 is all original — and very much in need of a service!

Here it is sitting atop a Rega Brio (and an LP12 jig) in my newly painted garage, surrounded by two pressings of one of my favourite records:

DSC02687-1-1.jpeg

And here are the guts:

IMG_4651-scaled.jpeg

I've never done any work on hifi electronics, but am handy generally (I used to braze steel bicycle frames as a hobby) and have experience with soldering from working on basic guitar electronics (switches, pots, caps).

I'd love to take this on as a project — though I do feel I'm a little out of my depths as I have no idea what terms like "ROE purple caps" mean, so it's hard for me to look at the above photo and even know what needs to come out. I also don't know which replacement parts will be easy to find and which ones tricky. I'd just like to do a part-for-part replacement, maybe with a few little improvements along the way (the idea about improving the action of the volume pot is a brilliant one!).

If someone could help put together a basic list of parts I'd need to get — and ideas for where to source them (I'm in Canada) — and perhaps help me identify the parts in question from the photos of my Nait guts, I would be very, very thankful! I would offer in turn to write up a long and detailed post on my blog (https://www.hifiaf.com/) so others could follow in my footsteps down the line.

By the way, I tracked down this useful PDF of what AV Options does in their (over the top, and insanely expensive) servicing of Nait 2s: https://www.avoptions.com/downloads/AV- ... e-List.pdf It might provide a good starting point for a list of parts for a service.

Zoom in on the group of components in the bottom left of your photo, you will see 4 maroon coloured caps with white writing on, these are the ROE (Roederstein) "top hat" capacitors, look closer, it says ROE in the white square in the middle. No longer made I believe, Roederstein were acquired by Vishay 1993, presumably lines changed, and so gone. I don't doubt you can buy old stock but better to replace with something reasonable and in manufacture like Nichicon Muse.

I'll certainly make further reports as I go along. Just gathering parts -a Mouser order arrived today...waiting for the replacement main PSU caps to arrive.

What I will do is first a recap of all electrolytics...then test sound. Next I'll do some mods...new pre-amp 317 reg and maybe gyrators etc.

more to follow...

Has anyone installed a stepped attenuator in a NAIT to replace the carbon pot masquerading as a volume control?

I think that might be because the Nait was designed before Naim made a CD player; and subsequently re-defined such as the 'Mains Earth-signal 0v link ' of the Naim sistem.

There was a ‘CD Nait’ version of the Nait 2 which had a line-in on the RCA sockets and ‘CD’ on the front panel. To my ears it was the best of the bunch (I’ve owned all of the 1s & 2s I think). Whether it changed the earthing I have no idea. It is one item I wish I’d hung onto as it was absolutely mint and boxed and would have made for a great spare amp.

Here it is sitting atop a Rega Brio (and an LP12 jig) in my newly painted garage, surrounded by two pressings of one of my favourite records:

DSC02687-1-1.jpeg

Which do you prefer? I’ve got the UK original (right).

Which do you prefer? I’ve got the UK original (right).

Definitely the UK original! Absolutely superb pressing (and a desert island disc for me). More details than you need: https://www.hifiaf.com/tago-mago-shootout/

Speaking of UK pressings you might like, @Tony L, Dolphy's Out There on Xtra is amazing and a rare Discogs bargain (well, mine was anyway): https://www.hifiaf.com/out-there-shootout/

My Nait 2 is one of the "CD versions," though it says Phono on the front panel (there's a "CD" sticker on the input around back).

@nobeone has been helping me service it -- and we're nearly there! I was biasing the channels today. Full saga here (with many diversions): http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1087

I'm going to be posting a more coherent "Nobeone's Guide to Servicing a Nait 2" on my blog this weekend...

Have you tried Deoxit F7 Faderlube? Not cheap, but it really works and the one can will likely last a lifetime! I yet to find a pot (that I can get it into, i.e. not sealed ones) that it doesn’t dramatically improve.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have you tried Deoxit F7 Faderlube? Not cheap, but it really works and the one can will likely last a lifetime! I yet to find a pot (that I can get it into, i.e. not sealed ones) that it doesn’t dramatically improve.

Luckly its only at minimum volume so I haven't bothered to sort it out, it lives in my kitchen system doing the TV sound (and has a link to the main system) so the sound dosn't get adjusted much.

Pete

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a noisy pot on my Nait 1 but it’s not replaceable so I will have to live with it.

Pete
Could you install a different pot and use flying leads to connect it to the motherboard? I was considering that for my old Nait 2 when I couldn't find the original part, but it went away after contact cleaning so I didn't bother.

Could you install a different pot and use flying leads to connect it to the motherboard? I was considering that for my old Nait 2 when I couldn't find the original part, but it went away after contact cleaning so I didn't bother.

The volume pot was soldered to the board and was low-profile, so there's next to no room to put any alternative in there.

The volume pot was soldered to the board and was low-profile, so there's next to no room to put any alternative in there.
Yes, I think that's a similar configuration to the Nait 2. But since the pot is kind of U-shaped, I thought you could install it upside down so the legs are pointing up and then you'd have room for the leads to wind around and connect to the PCB through holes. When I was researching I did find a very similar Panasonic (IIRC) pot that had the pins in a different position and I believe it would have worked. It may have required a bracket if it didn't have a threaded shaft for fixing to the faceplate. Just an idea.

I did buy a pot that should fit with flying leads but never got round to fitting it, I was going to make a bracket to solder into the board.

Pete

I've now finished writing up the "Nobeone's Guide to Servicing a Nait 2" -- based on my experience servicing my Nait 2 this week under @nobeone's expert guidance. The aim is to gather in one place everything someone (even a relative beginner) would need to do a sympathetic recap. It's available here: https://www.hifiaf.com/nait2-recap-guide/

It includes a full schematic by @nobeone of the Nait 2 circuit, a detailed BOM with lots of options and suggestions, detailed instructions on how to test the power and preamp rails and set the bias, etc. All with loads of photos.

I'm eager to hear any feedback on how it can be improved. The main addition I'm planning to make at this point is replacing the photos where I'm testing the power rails and bias with new ones showing my new, improved multimeter (o_O) and using test clips to show a less dangerous way of taking these readings.

Huge thanks to @nobeone for all his help with this!

advertisement

Back