advertisement

Naim HiLine misery and Brexit excuses

Tom60300

The truth hurts.
As is the norm with Naim equipment, I'm having untold misery with their HiLine DIN interconnect between Naim source and amplifier. The first one was delivered DOA (Dead On Arrival) which apparently surprised nobody as they are finicky, delicate, moody, a bit schizo and improperly constructed.

The replacement one arrived and was working correctly but now is suddenly causing a massive hum in the system, audible through the speakers. It sounds 200% like a ground/earth hum. In fact, this can be relieved by doing some typical Naim-required DIY, meaning: build your own ground cable. This requires neutralizing the L and N power cable conductors at wall outlet and connecting the remaining ground/earth cable at earthing post at rear of amplifier. This is a known solution, albeit not very professional.

Has anyone had their newish HiLine repaired by Naim? I made a timid inquiry with my dealer who is unwilling to assist due to Brexit cost and complications (I am on the Continent now).

Naim is so much fun.

Save yourself time & money, don’t buy one. I had one of trial & it made no difference to the sound. I ended up buying a television for less money, a total con IME.

That is pertinent advice for those who haven't bought one. I bought mine months ago.

If it’s never been right and you’ve reported it as such then your dealer cannot refuse you a refund if you bought it in the UK. Naim would probably be helpful and also interested to hear about one of their dealers offering such poor service too, I would have thought. The credit card point is valid. If you paid that way in the UK you can use the chargeback procedure.

I've had an old Hiline non working condition, a Naim dealer replaced with no quibble.

If dealer is of no help get in touch with distributor or Naim helpline.

advertisement

Back