advertisement

Naim HiCap vs Teddy Pardo TeddyCap

Yep, but what makes this PFM group useful are the comments (positive or negative) about equipment and personally, that helps me a lot choosing the gears that better suit my taste.

I've been struggling with a similar situation for my 72/HC/140 setup. After lots of bidding and searching I ended up 'winning' both a HiCap (olive) and Dual TeddyCap for similar price. Of course technically the Teddy provides functionality of two HiCaps but I don't need that in my setup, so they're somewhat equivalent in my book. I still haven't made up my mind which will stay. I think the sonic differences are likely mostly imagined but it's possible the Teddy brings a little more clarity.

HiCap (olive)

Pro: attractive, matching/complete set, power switch on front
Con: more expensive, transformer hum, needs DC blocker, needs service

Dual TeddyCap
Pro: additional power output, small, lightweight, silent, supposedly doesn't need service
Con: doesn't match, power switch on rear

If I had to point to one thing that's kept the deliberation going it would be the transformer hum on the HiCap, without which I would have already sold the Teddy along. Given the hum keeps bugging me, and every time I swap back to the Teddy I'm happy... I may end up going the other way... never to tell the tale on the Naim forums!

Ahh... vintage Naim in all its fun.

I wonder whether a service will help the hum of the olive?
You need a dedicated spur to stop that hum, our fridge was the main culprit for starting it off; now we have a dedicated spur (s) it's gone completely

I had a Naim supercap powering my prefix, it was very good but I bought a Teddy supercap from here about 8 years ago and gave that ago on the 52 first, I didn't like it, probably a better sound overall, more detail and clarity but tiring after a while. I swapped it with the supercap on the Prefix and it was brilliant and was also able to power the upgrade socket on the CD5XS, it stayed there ever since, well until today. I bought a dual teddycap to replace it as I've bought another pair of 135s and a SNAXO, there wasn't enough room on the rack for them all with the spare Naim SC as well, as it happened there wasn't enough room for that either by the skin of some other bits teeth so for now the TSC will be powering the SNAXO in a stacked format rather than side by side

I wonder whether a service will help the hum of the olive?
I've asked around, including with authorised and other popular service venues... general answer I get is no. Transformers aren't touched during service and hum is either a property of the transformer itself, or over-voltage of the mains line, or noise from other appliances on the mains line. I got a DC Blocker which originally I thought didn't do anything, but the last couple of days the hum seems to be a little less of a problem or my brain is starting to tune it out! Based on age, the HiCap should need service though. That's a separate story.

I ordered up a Teddy XPS for my Naim nDac today.
I've been struggling with a similar situation for my 72/HC/140 setup. After lots of bidding and searching I ended up 'winning' both a HiCap (olive) and Dual TeddyCap for similar price. Of course technically the Teddy provides functionality of two HiCaps but I don't need that in my setup, so they're somewhat equivalent in my book. I still haven't made up my mind which will stay. I think the sonic differences are likely mostly imagined but it's possible the Teddy brings a little more clarity.

HiCap (olive)

Pro: attractive, matching/complete set, power switch on front
Con: more expensive, transformer hum, needs DC blocker, needs service

Dual TeddyCap
Pro: additional power output, small, lightweight, silent, supposedly doesn't need service
Con: doesn't match, power switch on rear

If I had to point to one thing that's kept the deliberation going it would be the transformer hum on the HiCap, without which I would have already sold the Teddy along. Given the hum keeps bugging me, and every time I swap back to the Teddy I'm happy... I may end up going the other way... never to tell the tale on the Naim forums!

Ahh... vintage Naim in all its fun.

In this example I would 100% reccomend the Olive HC! So nice to have a classic Olive system, looks great on the shelf. Even if TP Cap sounded a bit better I would just enjoy the Olive set up. Just my opinion :)

Just ordered a Teddy XPS for a Naim nDac. Based on others experience I am really looking forward to getting it.

I've asked around, including with authorised and other popular service venues... general answer I get is no. Transformers aren't touched during service and hum is either a property of the transformer itself, or over-voltage of the mains line, or noise from other appliances on the mains line. I got a DC Blocker which originally I thought didn't do anything, but the last couple of days the hum seems to be a little less of a problem or my brain is starting to tune it out! Based on age, the HiCap should need service though. That's a separate story.
I don’t think you can generalise here, there are too many variables.
If the transformer is loose on its mounting, it’s possible that it can be sorted as part of a service and that it will reduce hum significantly.
Hum caused by interference from a dodgy appliance elsewhere in your house may well be reduced by the isolation you get from a dedicated mains circuit.
Hum caused by a poor mains supply coming into your house will not be reduced at all by a dedicated mains circuit. I would do the dedicated mains thing anyway if possible, but if the hum is caused by something like DC offset on the mains, a balanced power supply might be the answer.

What happened to Hicap prices? I was sort of looking for one a little over a year ago, when they were routinely going for around £300. Now £400+. Is this a lockdown phenomenon? I was going to use it with my 102, but when the power supply is worth as much or more than the pre-amp it doesn't seem like the most efficient use of resources.

What happened to Hicap prices? I was sort of looking for one a little over a year ago, when they were routinely going for around £300. Now £400+. Is this a lockdown phenomenon? I was going to use it with my 102, but when the power supply is worth as much or more than the pre-amp it doesn't seem like the most efficient use of resources.

I had a 102/180 some time back. I would say based on my experience with this pair that the addition of a HiCap for 400+ would be a worthwhile investment regardless of what you paid for the pre amp! Yes I think lockdown has put more people in competition on used gear etc.

I had a 102/180 some time back. I would say based on my experience with this pair that the addition of a HiCap for 400+ would be a worthwhile investment regardless of what you paid for the pre amp! Yes I think lockdown has put more people in competition on used gear etc.

I paid full price for the 102, had it from new! But 102 plus Hicap is now approximate value to an 82. If I was starting with cash, I think I'd go for the latter.

In this example I would 100% reccomend the Olive HC! So nice to have a classic Olive system, looks great on the shelf. Even if TP Cap sounded a bit better I would just enjoy the Olive set up. Just my opinion :)
I would say it's mine as well, since every couple of weeks I've been putting the Olive back in... I don't last more than a couple of hours with the hum. I just can't stop hearing it... so I put the Teddy back. Mind you it's not even particularly bad... no worse than my SN2 in the lounge, for example... but this one is just sitting too close to my ear.

I don’t think you can generalise here, there are too many variables.
If the transformer is loose on its mounting, it’s possible that it can be sorted as part of a service and that it will reduce hum significantly.
Hum caused by interference from a dodgy appliance elsewhere in your house may well be reduced by the isolation you get from a dedicated mains circuit.
Hum caused by a poor mains supply coming into your house will not be reduced at all by a dedicated mains circuit. I would do the dedicated mains thing anyway if possible, but if the hum is caused by something like DC offset on the mains, a balanced power supply might be the answer.
I've at least done a perfunctory check to see if the transformer felt loose (it didn't) but there may be some subtleties. I also tried a DC Blocker. Not sure they're snake oil in general but it didn't improve things anyway. Reputable maker, fwiw. Not able to make changes to the circuits here, unfortunately. Something to keep in mind though. This message is sounding more down than I mean it to be.

I paid full price for the 102, had it from new! But 102 plus Hicap is now approximate value to an 82. If I was starting with cash, I think I'd go for the latter.

Well the time is flying.., now a Nac 282 retails at wopping £4999..!
Makes it very understandable people are looking for fresh serviced NAC 82.

But you’d want/need a hicap for the 82, then maybe two HiCaps or a Supercap.

Your logic is flawed :)

ok going off tangent a bit but looking for advice here

I have a slightly different question.

I have a Nac 72 with full RSL boards, power amp is Avondale 260z, so trying to assess best option for power supply. I have a Sonic Bliss( teddycap clone) that I previously found to be very good. I also have a DIY build hicap clone.

So now there is a mix of RSL and Avondale what the best option, Avondale TPR4 regs into the hicap? Or the RSL PSM-1 or go the whole hog and fit the full RSL PSM-2. Or would a new Teddy cap offer more? I know its possible to have the 72 altered to use a supercap but with the RSL boards am not sure there is much benefit rather than a decent power supply?

If my logic is wrong please feel free to correct me.

ideas and suggestions please or who has used any of the above options with an RSL'd 72

advertisement

Back