advertisement

Naim Headline - Now need help with a tiny connection problem

toecutter

pfm Member
Recently bought a NoS Naim headline for a cheap price.
Looking really lovely and sounds really nice.

My current setup is this:

CD5
NAC112
NAP150
FLATCAP XS
STAGELINE
HEADLINE

This is my problem.
When I was going to connect my Headline I had to disconnect my Stageline from Power Out B socket on the Flatcap XS.
I checked the other sockets on my units and none them has a free Power OUT!

How do I connect my Stageline without spending money on a HiCap or something else??
Can I use one of the free sockets from SIGNAL OUT on pre-amp or Flatcap XS ??
What tha hell did Naim designers think when they manufactured these units if I can't connect both my Stageline and Headline in my Naim setup ???

2nd question ???

This Headline being brand new in the box with serial number 3757XX
It was never opened before.
Pins inside the DIN connector were all black and tarnished, I inserted and removed DIN contact to my pre-amp socket maybe 15 to 20 times, all the way in but black shite didn't scrape off.
I know Naim don't recommend using DeOxit to remove oxide what else can be done to clean these pins ??

Is it normal for pins from DIN connector to degrade turning black inside a sealed box ??

How do I connect my Stageline without spending money on a HiCap or something else??
You can power two devices from the Flatcap XS. With the caveat that I own none of those components, I believe you can power either the stageline or headline from Aux 2 on the 112 then use the flatcap for the 112 and whichever is not powered from Aux 2.

A hicap can only power one device. Not sure if you could daisy chain them to do what you want. Someone else will know…

No idea on the DIN. It does seem weird.

You can power two devices from the Flatcap XS. With the caveat that I own none of those components, I believe you can power either the stageline or headline from Aux 2 on the 112 then use the flatcap for the 112 and whichever is not powered from Aux 2.

A hicap can only power one device. Not sure if you could daisy chain them to do what you want. Someone else will know…

No idea on the DIN. It does seem weird.

Thanks for the tip

I checked the power lead on Stageline it's a 5 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN.
So I should be able to connect the power lead from Stageline to AUX-2 socket one on the NAC112 ???

checked the power lead on Stageline it's a 5 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN.
So I should be able to connect the power lead from Stageline to AUX-2 socket one on the NAC112 ???
I am not seeing your exact case in the Naim wiring diagrams Or manuals, and in the FAQ on the naim forum, it says not to use AUX 2 for headline as it may cause a ground loop even though manual says that is an option.

The manual for the preamp also shows the blanking cover over the powered AUX2 when using flatcap.

So it isn’t clear from this if it is either/or, or if you can do both though I am sure if have seen discussion of doing both.

How exactly did/do you have the stageline connected before the headline?

checked the power lead on Stageline it's a 5 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN.
In looking at the connection manuals, it appears that this is still an either or. It seems you can use the flatcap to power one device or you can not use the flatcap, power the 112 from the amp and use aux2 to power a device.

So it does look like, even with this capability, you need a second power supply to do both.

I am not seeing your exact case in the Naim wiring diagrams Or manuals, and in the FAQ on the naim forum, it says not to use AUX 2 for headline as it may cause a ground loop even though manual says that is an option.

The manual for the preamp also shows the blanking cover over the powered AUX2 when using flatcap.

So it isn’t clear from this if it is either/or, or if you can do both though I am sure if have seen discussion of doing both.

How exactly did/do you have the stageline connected before the headline?

I had owned the Stageline many years before I bought Flatcap XS.
Stageline was previously connected to pre-amp AUX-2 socket one if I remember correct ??

When I bought the Flatcap XS I did reconnect the Stageline to Flatcap XS.
Now that I bought Headline I removed Stageline from Flatcap XS to connect Headline instead hence my question about going back and connect Stageline to socket one?

When I bought the Flatcap XS I did reconnect the Stageline to Flatcap XS.
Now that I bought Headline I removed Stageline from Flatcap XS to connect Headline instead hence my question about going back and connect Stageline to socket one?
This is very unclear (as you know).

You need to power three devices: the 112, the headline, and the stageline. You have the capability to power three devices: the 150 can power 1 and the flatcap xs can power two.

The question is whether you can use aux 2 and a flatcap simultaneously. The manuals are clear that you cannot use both aux 2s simultaneously, but say nothing in the text about using a flatcap and powered aux 2 simultaneously. However, the only pics I can find in the 112 manual show a cap over the powered aux 2 when a flatcap is connected.

It seems odd that it can’t be done because you can use the power from the 150 to power the 112 and something else from aux 2, so it would be weird that you couldn’t With a flatcap.

Unless someone else weighs in, this may be a question for the Naim forum or your dealer.

I will have to call a dealer tomorrow and ask if it's OK to hook up the stageline to AUX-2 socket one using stageline power lead DIN 5 pin U-shape

Rang the dealer today who sold me the Headline.
He told me to connect Stageline to AUX-2 which is the 240 degrees U-shaped socket one.
There should not be any groundloop issues.

Regarding pin oxidation, Headline still in the unopened box, pins would still get tarnished over time this problem can not be avoided.
Naim should have silverplated DIN connectors instead of nickleplated for best performance.
I was told to soak isopropanol-alcohol on a Q-tip and gently rub pins clean if I can't get tarnish off by inserting and removing DIN plug repeated times.

I connected the Stageline to AUX-2 - 240 degrees U-pin, did not get any groundloop.
It's all good.

Thanks for your help ChrisS 👍

advertisement

Back