advertisement

Naim Fraim what a difference

pidge22

pfm Member
You know I have never given a decent hifi stand much importance, my previous hifi stand was a sideboard I had modified to fit my system in..
I have now replaced this with four levels of Fraim & two levels of Fraimlite..
Wow...it must be the best upgrade I have ever done..just listening to Prefab Sprout Steve Mcqueen Acoustic Version & it is the best I have heard my system sound (and I haven't even tune dem'd the Akurate 242's into position & setup Linn SO yet!)
Suspect my LP12/Keel/Radikal/Aro/Kandid is very happy with the Fraim and thats whats making the difference..
To say I am so impressed is an understatement...

I can relate;

From moving up to a proper rack, built out of tone-wood, from a MDF unit with glass shelves, my sound improved and I wasn’t sure to even expect a change (it’s the only time I’ve experienced a system moved from one type to another).

But you then, possibly have to look at it? Much of the Naim Fraim philosophy I understand, but I really, really hate the look. For me, Naim was narrow front panels (NAC12) and compact power amps (NAP 110) - I tolerated my stack og 160s and 250s - but making wide stuff wider? No.

I don't have any Naim stuff now, but still think it's some of the best stuff out there.

I have to confess that I've spent a fair amount on "hi fi furniture" in the past, including (lots of ) Mana, Townsend, and the ubiquitous Sound Org tables. Never had a Fraim, but the financial and real estate cost significantly put me off.

I just don't bother with "isolation" now. But for a single remaining Sound Org table that my 82 and 250 sit on (which is entirely for practical reasons), the rest of the system sits on a old coffee table.

Might be worth reposting this link that booja has just contributed to the Mana thread:

https://www.audio-forums.com/articles/microphonic-effects-on-solid-state-circuits.17

Racks can make a pleasing sonic difference when well set up. There used to be curiously energetic and oftentimes nasty exchanges about them on this and the old Naim website, akin to the topic of cables. Those of us satisfied with our kit on Fraim should, IMO, give at least an occasional nod to Vuk Vuksanovic and his "ball nutter" experiments, which sadly now seems quite a long time ago. I haven't looked into alternatives since purchase. Glad you are enjoying your Fraim.

I do think frame is quite expensive, I actually think it looks pretty good & offers flexibility to add more shelves. I have a stack of it, bought when it was half the price it is now.

Good for you re the Fraim. I. with Mrs C, considered moving all of mine on when I recently sold my Naim stuff, but we've kept one rack as she likes the look of it.

i did show her quite a few alternatives but she agreed we keep what we have.

FWIW I did a Fraim v Mana comparison back in the day - the Mana went and the Fraim stayed (both in terms of sound and appearance).

Chaps

Rack do make a difference but not as much as having a dedicated spur which only costs a fraction of the price.

Vuk's "ball nutter" is also cheap and it did make quite a difference when my kit was sited on an oak sideboard.

I was recommended a Hutter by Jason (Re Joyce) as well as by Naim just before they introduced the Fraim. The only downside to the Fraim is that it looks sexy from the front but dead ugly from the side but it does tidy up the sound tremendously.

The sole problem with Mana was John Watson, he was nice one day and a total PITA the next. He had a legion of loyal followers as well as those who could not stand him. The product did its job but had no WAF what so ever.

I used Mana under my Briks for nearly 20 years and it really did improve the sound and the improvement was genuine and not imaginary. All of my sons as well as Mrs Mick commented positively on the improvement.

I also still have a Mana base under the SBLs in the dinning room system, and again, they sound better with them fitted.

I am convinced that Mana would still be around today, operating as before, if John Watson had controlled his public behaviour a bit more sensibly.

It really was a case of a good product let down by awful sales techniques.

Regards

Mick

Racks certainly make a difference.

I had a basic Alphason one for years, which was ok, then changed to a AudiophileBASE which was a big improvement.

Since I have followed it up with a less well known Creaktiv rack, which is better still.

What do they do to the sound?

For me, they open it up, as if you’re removing a vail from in front of the speakers.

I have never heard what the Fraim can do because it’s too rich for me, but I’ve heard good things.

Racks certainly make a difference.

What do they do to the sound?

s.

We've been here before, many times, but mechanical and microphonic devices excepted, no one knows what they do, how they do it, or if indeed they do anything. That, added to the insane prices of most of them, and the PITA factor, make me very sceptical.

Of course there is kit that benefits from them (Rega wall mounts, an LP12 on a Mana Reference, etc). But even with decks something like my SME20/3 doesn't give that much of a damn what it's on as long as it's flat, level and rigid.

And with solid state things, there is very little evidence that they do anything at all.

Even assuming microphonics is a detectable thing (I'm not), what is being isolated from what? Is one vibrating item in the rack being isolated from another? If so, isn't it affecting itself? If not, and it's isolating from floor movement, couldn't just the base of the shelf be isolated? Finally, if the electronics are so delicate that they need isolation from each other and all other sources of vibration, wouldn't sound waves be a huge source of interference? Especially with trouser flapping bass? I could go on...

record decks need a decent, stable, 'dead' platform for sure, so why not...two heavy brackets and some thick MDF costs about £10 I guess but few bragging rights attached. I've never heard any SS electronics sound any different at all whatever they are on, and why should they? Anyhoo,...

The Fraim definitely made a musical improvement to my system.

More recently after some reconfiguration with a spare shelf, medium and long legs giving more air around certain components which as a byproduct enabled better cable dressing I am really pleased with the end rest.

Richard

I'm unsure ss electronics need extra isolation unless poorly put together, so I would think the improvement would come from your LP12 sited on better isolation. I also found my cdt, sitting on old stillpoints sounded better than the rubber feet. Non the less, pleased you are enjoying your system more.

record decks need a decent, stable, 'dead' platform for sure, so why not...two heavy brackets and some thick MDF costs about £10 I guess but few bragging rights attached. I've never heard any SS electronics sound any different at all whatever they are on, and why should they? Anyhoo,...
My thoughts on the record deck shelf exactly. Does anybody know why Linn recommend a 'light' shelf? I'm toying with the idea of two cast iron wall brackets rawl bolted into a solid masonry wall. That should be completely dead and stable, but not 'light'?!? Will it work?

Fraim made a significant difference to my system and then took another leap forward when I added the Sonority Design shelves

advertisement

Back