advertisement

Naim DR upgrade & How?

CRN

Jesus Rules
Does anybody on this forum know how to go about upgrading the Naim 2 series amps to the latest DR upgrades. I expect I am asking a ridicules question but I know that on the earlier Naim amps this forum has come up with some brilliant upgrades. Thanks Chris

DR upgrades are for power supplies not amplifiers.
If chrome bumper is series one and olive is series 2 then no, Naim won't put DR in series 2 power supplies.

Thanks Cromodora I see that I should have said the series 3 which are the latest models. I know that Naim do the DR upgrade for as you say the power supplies but they want to charge an arm and a leg for the upgrade I was wondering if anybody on this forum knew how to go about doing the upgrade as a D>I>Y project? Thanks Chris

The DR upgrades for the 300 and 500 series amplifiers involve, inter alia, replacement of the output transistors with the latest NA009 devices. Getting hold of those might be difficult.

The DR upgrades for the 300 and 500 series amplifiers involve, inter alia, replacement of the output transistors with the latest NA009 devices. Getting hold of those might be difficult.

They will be re-badged parts from somebody. The previous one was made by Semelab.

Thanks Cromodora I see that I should have said the series 3 which are the latest models. I know that Naim do the DR upgrade for as you say the power supplies but they want to charge an arm and a leg for the upgrade I was wondering if anybody on this forum knew how to go about doing the upgrade as a D>I>Y project? Thanks Chris

Chris, look up Avondale Audio.

I forgot about top end Naim amps like the 250 upwards having regulated supplies but then again the higher voltages there precludes monolithic regulators and are already discrete.

My Naim equipment is 5
nap 500, Nac 552, 555, Supercap and Stageline preamp power supply etc:)

Well as you're asking in the diy room I say forget DR and replace the SC with diy super regs, your choice is wide and cheap.
What diy skills do you have.

1. You have top end Naim kit so DIY or alternative DR regulators will not be a good idea.
It will affect resale values.

2. Would DR cost be lower done at Witch Hat or other authorized Naim service agent?

3. Call LesW at Avondale. Who knows he may have custom solutions for split rail supplies of TOTL Naim gear.

Well as you're asking in the diy room I say forget DR and replace the SC with diy super regs, your choice is wide and cheap.
What diy skills do you have.

I have replaced just the feedback capacitors some resistors and capacitors using Kendall type in my olive 135 power amps before I updated to the 500. So the answer to your question is very little Skills. However I am pretty good with a soldering iron and I certainly have a good awareness of practical mending of things, however I know that making sure that polarities are correct in electronics is a must!
I know that if I was to meet someone who could guide me a bit with what parts to look for when needing to replace certain items on the pcb board I feel that I could do the job!
You might possibly differ to disagree!

The DR upgrade for the Supercap involves changing the reg boards and also modifying the wiring loom - so not an easy DIY job, even if you could get the parts.

You could replace the original naim regs with Avondale TPRs which are a drop in...so only soldering required.

The DR upgrades in the amplifiers (250,300 and 500) involve significant changes and I think mean new circuit boards. Only Naim will be able to do this.

I have replaced just the feedback capacitors some resistors and capacitors using Kendall type in my olive 135 power amps before I updated to the 500. So the answer to your question is very little Skills. However I am pretty good with a soldering iron and I certainly have a good awareness of practical mending of things, however I know that making sure that polarities are correct in electronics is a must!
I know that if I was to meet someone who could guide me a bit with what parts to look for when needing to replace certain items on the pcb board I feel that I could do the job!
You might possibly differ to disagree!

Big step up from 135 to 500 dollar wise, diy is a lot cheaper!

So starting with a new diy SC (messing with your own seems fool hardy) then the Avondale route seems a likely place to start, then move up the diy ladder to more complex supper regulators when you have some experience under your belt.
I started with CD5, FC2, 112, 150 in 2008 by adding the very simple teddy reg, moved to super teddy reg then ALWSR followed by diy pre and power then DACs
Along the way I had a bash at many other regulators and learned as I moved on and are now 100% diy.

Tony

The DR upgrades to the Naim amps are, as posted above, a significant change, involving practically every part of their circuits, the transistors being the same as used in the Statement amps. They also replace the heatsinks with ceramic ones. I'm thinking of having this done to mine at some stage, but as I've got three of them it ain't going to be cheap!

advertisement

Back