advertisement

Naim does a second Nap250 add much to Nac 52?

You end up with a simple passive biamp setup, both amps produce the full signal range, and the speaker crossover deals with it accordingly, depending on which pair of terminals the amps go to, ie one for the tweeters, the other for bass/ mids.

Thanks everyone, I'll have look into what cables I have and see if I can rig something up. Otherwise, I'll get cable made up. Nothing ventured n

I used a couple of 250s with a 72/HC to passively biamp a pair of scm40s. I didn't need any special.cable iirc, just a whatever the standard snaic to connect the HC to the power amps. Don't forget to remove the binding strips!

I can only speak for myself. Active SBLs, driven by a brace of NAP250s are very fine.
(NAC82 + Supercap, SNAXO 2-4 + Supercap.......... all "olive")

In the "spares" cupboard, I have an olive NAXO 2-4. It's not bad, running from a Hicap, but I think the SNAXO benefits from the extra supplies from the SCap.

However, as always, YMMV.

I passively bi-amp my Neat MFSs, works a treat.

Naim didn't recommend bi-amping IIRC, but the late Malcolm Steward (reviewer and long-term Naim user) had a brace of 250s with his Neat loudspeakers, having previously been active with SBLs, then DBLs.

Simplest upgrade would be to use the 250s like 135s

Or sell the 250's and purchase the 135's, that's the way I'd go if sticking with Naim. If you can force yourself away from that brand look out for an Audionet AMP 1 V2, I kid you not you'll love it. How it works with a 52 I'm not sure, but a passive worked well with the AMP1, and there are plenty of options if you fancy something different

Not 250s, but 135s. I added a second pair to drive Epos ES30s. Pair one drove mid and bass units, and pair two drove the tweeters. The dedicated pair on the tweeters really lifted the sound, which surprised me. I had to get some Y-cables made up to drive four inputs from two sockets on the HiCap. Naim were helpful in advising, and it was their suggestion to put the second pair on the tweeters. I tried other arrangements, but that was the best.

Or sell the 250's and purchase the 135's, that's the way I'd go if sticking with Naim. If you can force yourself away from that brand look out for an Audionet AMP 1 V2, I kid you not you'll love it. How it works with a 52 I'm not sure, but a passive worked well with the AMP1, and there are plenty of options if you fancy something different
You have a very different approach to ‘simple’

^^^
Sell an amplifier, then buy an amplifier, is that not simple enough, ok you've got choices to make with my second suggestion, my first suggestion is a very simple approach.

Right now the OP has everything he needs to try out in passive mode, including cables. Doesn't get any more simple than that!

This was before I discovered the Monitor Audio Studio 20SE which are my forever speakers. Everything piece of equipment I have played through them has sounded amazing.

Nice to read you still use 20SE's! I have very fond memories of these: fantastic speakers! So were the little 2SE's.

I ran a brace of CB250s as mono-blocks, didn't add a lot if anything.

I love the SBLs, but this depends on context. I use a pair of Les's PXOs.

Using the SBLs my experience is:

300DR > 250DR > CB250.

Not tried the Olive, but this was electronics that I never warmed to.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom